Santa Fe Not blowing hot (or warm) air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattp4026

Jan 1, 2014
Salem,NH
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum, the site, and the world of pellet stoves. We recently bought our first home and it was sold with a 2005 Quadra Fire Santa Fe insert. This fall, it was cleaned (the previous owners seemed to neglect it last winter and spring) along with the chimney. Since the cleaning, it has not been operating as it did when we first started it. Ihavealsodone one routine cleaning myself. The left blower is blowing cool air and the right side is not much warmer. Before it was cleaned, it would do a great job warming the first floor and the stairway going to the second. I am asking for advice on troubleshooting this myself - I am fairly handy and need to learn about the stove. I am weary to contact the business I used to buy the pellets and clean the stove. I think they were too pricey and am looking for a new shop. They were referred by the previous owner. Thanks and Happy New Year!

Hello

Can you post a pic of it? Also in the firebox, have you taken out the top baffle plate and the iron fire brick and cleaned all the ash behind it?

Also check your convection (room, distribution) blowers for dust, lint, cat fur, dog fur, or any other crud.

Clean out any you find.

If it is loaded with such stuff it won't move enough air to warm up your house.

What does your flame look like? Is it lazy and yellow or can you see blue flame down in the pot as it swirls around? Are you SURE that your trap door on the bottom of the burn pot is closed all the way? Have you checked to see that ALL 8 LITTLE holes are open at the bottom of the pot? 4 are at the bottom of the sloped section and 4 are at the front of the pot at the bottom. You can't see them but they are there. Folks use a .22 or .25 caliber pistol brush or anything else that size to clean them out. The big holes never get clogged for me.
Make sure you check the cleanliness as the other guys said but get back to us on what the flame looks like.

If the convection blowers are moving a good amount of air, check the heat exchanger. It may be sooted up. If they are not moving a good amount of air, see Smokey's post.

Status
Not open for further replies.