Santa Fe owners question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
I'm still new to this stove, and I cant find the answer in the manual. Does the front door have a gasket on 3 sides only with the bottom open? And am I suppose to be able to see the burnpot flaming away by opening the drawer...nothing there to surround it? Sounds like a jet plane when the pellets really start to drop in and ignite.

That, my friend, is all normal!!! You are sealed on only 3 sides of the door so that there is an 'air wash' coming up along the door to keep the glass clean. What you are seeing at the burnpot is the flame through the large and small holes in the pot. Quad could have done a much better job of sealing the area around the ash pan which is one problem with an OAK (outside air kit) being installed. The stove will still draw combustion air from those gaps as well as from the OAK, if it's installed. The noise is the air getting sucked through the holes and swirling around in the burnpot. Also it could be the resonance of the air/heat going up the flue. The holes are drilled at an angle in the pot to create the swirling blast furnace-like flame. It is very important to keep ALL the holes clear. There are 4 small holes at the base of the angled bottom and another 4 at the base around the front part plus the groove where the igniter heated air comes in. I use a .32 caliber bore brush bent at an angle on the end of a gun cleaning rod. The large holes use a .40 caliber bore brush. The big ones rarely get clogged but the small ones do so it is important to give them a 'jab' when you clean the pot out.

Status
Not open for further replies.