Santa left an Egg.........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sailor61

Burning Hunk
Nov 28, 2006
Warwick, RI
Got a Big Green Egg for Christmas - well, actually was told I could go pick out and order one, which I did yesterday. Had been ready to go for the medium - which looked fine for what I will want to do most days- but when I checked the price for the large figured it was worth the extra to be able to use it for company.

Got what seems to be a pretty good price from a local retailer - large including the nest and shelves for 699. BGE's statement about limiting warranty coverage on internet orders made me reconsider the wisdom of that route.

Anybody got any helpful hints/suggestions/recipes? I need to check out the BGE site but figured I would start here since there has been a decent amount of discussion about them.

Happy New Year!

Tom

I can only imagine there are a couple of excellent websites dedicated to recipes and customizations and instructions on how to get the most out of that thing. This website ( http://virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html ) explains it all for the Weber version, but much of it is the same. This site also tells you how to buy the right types of meat, how to prepare them, etc.

I recommend a couple of pork butts as a starter. Also give a beef briskett a whirl.

Get one of Dr. BBQ's books. They'll provide a good start. He is well regarded in BGE circles. http://www.drbbq.com/

Welcome to the BGE club!

One bit of advice: Always cook to temperature. Recipe cook times will get you in the neighborhood but each piece of meat is different and thus you MUST cook to temperature. Get a good thermometer. I have three that I use all the time (instant read, wireless remote probe and my BBQ Guru probe).

hey congrats , you are gonna LOVE your BGE!!! i got a medium recently and have cooked on it exclusively since firing it up on the 16th, i gave my neighbor my weber smoker the next day!, go to the website there are more recipies than you could possibly cook in a lifetime there, graet site and a great product!!!!! enjoy!!

I have seared steaks at 750 degrees in the midst of a New Hampshire blizzard (had to clear the snow around the Egg for that one)... I am no stranger to winter BBQ. My only inhibitor is that I have sealed my patio sliding door with rope caulk for winterization purposes. That makes it a bit of a PITA to get to the patio for BBQ! Lately I consider this a feature, for it allows us a break for nearly constant Egging in the warmer months. It is my chance to rediscover pan sauces, rotisserie cooking, and other fun indoor cooking. Besides, all the waste heat in the kitchen is a feature in the winter months.

Victor

To the other eggers in the gang - thanks for the input, I'll let you know how thigs turn out.

Checked out the BGE site yesterday - does anyone know if there is an option to alter how messages are displayed? Relatively new to using message boards etc and have to say that hearth.com is very easy to follow and read. The BGE system is difficult at best. Very tough to trace a response back and see the original posting, is there somehting I am doing wrong ?

thanks

TJ

sailor61 said:
To the other eggers in the gang - thanks for the input, I'll let you know how thigs turn out.

Checked out the BGE site yesterday - does anyone know if there is an option to alter how messages are displayed? Relatively new to using message boards etc and have to say that hearth.com is very easy to follow and read. The BGE system is difficult at best. Very tough to trace a response back and see the original posting, is there somehting I am doing wrong ?

thanks

TJ

The old forums suck. It's a great crew but the software they are using is circa 1990. They need to switch to hearth.com's forum software. You could try going to http://www.biggreenegg.net. It's the same forum with a different, and slightly improved, interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.