Sante Fe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinelife

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2010
Way Up North Michigan
Is there any drawback to setting the control board thing from 6 to 7. I heard it gives you better heat. Anything else I should know before I do it ?? Thank you...Merry Christmas....

I heard that the convection fan blows harder..... ??

NorthernQuad said:

try it and see and then let us know! Just unplug the stove before changing the setting!

tjnamtiw said:
NorthernQuad said:

try it and see and then let us know! Just unplug the stove before changing the setting!

Btw Did you ever try running your fan on high like I do, like it low or medium heat? Just curious if you tried it.........

B-Mod said:
tjnamtiw said:
NorthernQuad said:

Btw Did you ever try running your fan on high like I do, like it low or medium heat? Just curious if you tried it.........

No, I didn't yet, B-mod. Since they are still under warranty, I didn't want to give the dealer any excuses for not honoring it, but rest assured, after this season, I will do just that! I DO like the adjustable snap disc on the blower, though. Works great!

I have a Santa Fe since October. It burned really crappy so they turned the setting up to 7 one week later. It still did not burn very well so after a month they found that the auger was bent. He bent it the way it should be and a new one is on order. He said there is not that much difference between the 6 and the 7. All it does it feed 10% more pellets nothing to do with the fan is what I was told.
If you try it let us know if you see a difference since I have no idea with my stove never working right out of the gate.

Not to change the topic but what is up with burning it on high? Noone told me not to and once in a while in this cold weather I have to put mine on high to get enough heat, but I did notice it does smell a little like plastic burning and then I turn it down.

pelletqueen77 said:
I have a Santa Fe since October. It burned really crappy so they turned the setting up to 7 one week later. It still did not burn very well so after a month they found that the auger was bent. He bent it the way it should be and a new one is on order. He said there is not that much difference between the 6 and the 7. All it does it feed 10% more pellets nothing to do with the fan is what I was told.
If you try it let us know if you see a difference since I have no idea with my stove never working right out of the gate.

Not to change the topic but what is up with burning it on high? Noone told me not to and once in a while in this cold weather I have to put mine on high to get enough heat, but I did notice it does smell a little like plastic burning and then I turn it down.

There's NO problem on burning it on high as long as you adjust your feed rate so that your flame is, on average, about 6" out of the burn pot. Adjusting the feed rate is a continuing process to adapt to the variations is pellets, even within the same lot. It's not a 'set and forget' kind of thing. I burn mine on high quite a bit when it's really cold otherwise, I burn on medium and let the thermostat turn it on and off. For me, LOW is unreliable as far as feeding goes since it is borderline to keep the vacuum switch pulled in, as I have tested.

tjnamtiw said:
pelletqueen77 said:

There's NO problem on burning it on high as long as you adjust your feed rate so that your flame is, on average, about 6" out of the burn pot. Adjusting the feed rate is a continuing process to adapt to the variations is pellets, even within the same lot. It's not a 'set and forget' kind of thing. I burn mine on high quite a bit when it's really cold otherwise, I burn on medium and let the thermostat turn it on and off. For me, LOW is unreliable as far as feeding goes since it is borderline to keep the vacuum switch pulled in, as I have tested.

I run on low all the time, very rare medium, just about never on high.
If your stove is like mine, I have no mods to make it run the fan on high. All I did was make up a cable that goes in line, male and female crimp on connectors, I did not cut any factory wires. I can take a picture that may help if you want to try it. I think it works great with your spring mod! gets the air moving.

I agree on the snap disk too. Mine with the stock 125 was turning the fan on and off on low heat. Now it is on and with the springs and fan on high, it is really pumping heat!.............

tjnamtiw said:
pelletqueen77 said:

I run on low all the time, very rare medium, just about never on high.
If your stove is like mine, I have no mods to make it run the fan on high. All I did was make up a cable that goes in line, male and female crimp on connectors, I did not cut any factory wires. I can take a picture that may help if you want to try it. I think it works great with your spring mod! gets the air moving.

I agree on the snap disk too. Mine with the stock 125 was turning the fan on and off on low heat. Now it is on and with the springs and fan on high, it is really pumping heat!.............

Yea, if you could take a picture to show me where you put the jumper, I'd appreciate it. I looked but couldn't see a way to do it without cutting factory wires and putting a tee in it. It's probably staring me in the face!!!!!! I know it will be one of those 'duhhhhs'.... :eek:)

"I agree on the snap disk too. Mine with the stock 125 was turning the fan on and off on low heat. Now it is on and with the springs and fan on high, it is really pumping heat!............."

B-MOD....What is this snap disk feature?? Does one of the snap disks have some kind of alternate setting? can you explain further? thanks

I took my stock #1 snap disk out and replaced it with an adjustable one, and lowered the on and off temp. Fan comes on sooner, and off later, more heat in the room also. On my stove the fan would even start and stop, on low heat. I can give you a grainger part # if you are interested. It was about $25 for the disk.........

Thanks B-MOD..good info...My Castile never cycles the convection fan, even when running on low. Once it starts it stays on, maybe its the pellets but I'll remember the mod if need it!

Mine was really bad as the early stoves had a higher temp snap disk, 125 degrees, later they went to 115 degrees. I have mine set around 95 degrees, fan turns on just a few mins. after fire starts, and stays on longer after fire is out. Otherwise it is wasted pellets or corn.

I was wondering if this modification will work on all Quadrafires? I have an 04 classic bay with the grey control box. Mine says it a 145 degree snap disk. so changing it sure would make a difference.

Lineman30 said:
I was wondering if this modification will work on all Quadrafires? I have an 04 classic bay with the grey control box. Mine says it a 145 degree snap disk. so changing it sure would make a difference.

I put one on my Castile and it works great. it shuts off when the air coming out of the tubes is 80 degrees, which is still above room temp. I also relocated it from low on the side panel at the back to as near the top front corner as possible. That's closer to the tubes and it turns on quite soon and the air coming out of the tubes is already hot! Well worth the bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.