Sapling woodshed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bunch of dying elm trees in the woods...alot of them about 6 -10" diameter for about 30 ft. Thought about using a few of these to make a woodshed out of...kinda like the natives might have done... is this a practical idea ?? How long would it last ?? a couple days, acouple years...longer than me ??? any ideas ??? let's hear them.

I'd use ash cause they will bend a lot before breaking.

Just do the log cabin thing without dovetailing the corners. That will leave about 50% open for air. I've seen those on old homesteads for hay storage.

I would not use elm. Ash for sure would be much better.

We used to build corn cribs using ash for the poles and then line with snow fence. Those ash poles would last 10-15 years easy with not treating at all.

In or on the ground, Tamarack is very good. The old timers used to char them over a hot fire. Old fashioned creosote treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.