Saranac/Tasman Insert Solution

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fsmith29

Oct 2, 2011
Canada
I have finally gotten my solution to going through too many pellets. After numerous phone calls and emails Inca Metals is now telling me that a bag of pellets should only last me 15 hours on the lowest setting. Does anyone disagree with this? Or is this normal?

fsmith29 said:
I have finally gotten my solution to going through too many pellets. After numerous phone calls and emails Inca Metals is now telling me that a bag of pellets should only last me 15 hours on the lowest setting. Does anyone disagree with this? Or is this normal?

Not so here. I get a bit better than a day out of a bag.

Bag 15 of the season is burning at the moment, my stove has been on since Thursday October 22 and was off yesterday for under an hour for cleaning. Today is day 15 and to top it off it hasn't been at the lowest setting all of the time.

But then I don't have that 8 second cycle control board, and I'll bet that isn't the only difference.

What Smokey said. I run a little over 24 hours on a bag at the lowest setting.

fsmith29 said:
How do I get a different cycle control board? Or is it not possible to do that?

If the current board is functioning according to your manual you wont be able to get another board. I also don't know what other changes were made to the stove. You need to talk to the dealer you bought it from. Depending upon the Brand name attached you may have to talk to another party. If the stove is branded Hudson River get in touch with them (this is BAC). If it is the other two names I'd hit up your dealer and Inca.

It sounds like more than just the controller is different. The reason I say this is your 8 second cycle control board is exactly equivalent to my 16 second control board when it comes to motor on and off times in relation to each outher.

Some of it may have to do with the pellets being used. For example for me Somersets and Blazers burn hot but a bag only lasts about 16 hrs. MWP and Maine's Choice burn cooler but last about a day.

Thermostat's help equal bag length variance. I have tested many brands and the actual length of burn varied alot. But for the most part once the house was warm the stove shutdown. So the hotter fuels the stove burned less overall time. For example: They all lasted about 3 solid days on the 2 bag run.

Where the hotter pellet helps is small stove that doesn't have enough to cover heat loss. Its like one extra heat level you didn't have. Been there done that!

IHATEPROPANE said:
Some of it may have to do with the pellets being used. For example for me Somersets and Blazers burn hot but a bag only lasts about 16 hrs. MWP and Maine's Choice burn cooler but last about a day.

There is likely a different auger motor or auger pitch involved here as well.

Jay is right about running it on a t-stat to control the heat and pellet use.

Thanks for all the replies. I've wanted to try the t-stat but I'm worried about it being hard on the igniter or starter. How often is too often for the stove to start and stop each day? Or would the savings in pellets pay for a new igniter and then some? I appreciate everyone's help because I'm new to this and don't have the experience that you guys have :)

fsmith29 said:
Thanks for all the replies. I've wanted to try the t-stat but I'm worried about it being hard on the igniter or starter. How often is too often for the stove to start and stop each day? Or would the savings in pellets pay for a new igniter and then some? I appreciate everyone's help because I'm new to this and don't have the experience that you guys have :)

If the stove is keep reasonably clean (in particular the burn pot area and the air path around the igniter) an igniter will last several years. Once you get into the colder portion of the heating season then you can switch over to hi/low mode.

The actual igniter is only about $25.00 from a place other than from the dealer. Since you seem to have a unit different than mine I'd suggest you ask your dealer for the price and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.