Saratoga, NY slab wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drz1050

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2014
Ballston Lake, NY
To anyone in this area that's interested, I found a place that gives slab wood away for free. It's not bundled, but you can go there at any time to load up your pickup/ trailer. Just off exit 16 from rt 87: Pettey's Sawmill.

Just leave a little there for me ;)

Wondering if it's worth the hour's drive from VT to go pick up free wood. Probably is, considering the current cost of fuel. Is it softwood, hardwood or mixed?

Pretty sure it's mixed, but you can also call the mill and ask what they've been processing lately...

Checked it out yesterday, right now much of it is covered in snow, I was going to wait until this starts to melt.

Oh man, you're giving away my favorite secret in Saratoga! To anyone out there, it sucks - please don't come and steal my slabwood, it's a waste of your time! :)

Lol, thought I'd share the wealth.. it's more than I need :)

If you've picked it up before, do you know if it's mainly hardwood/ softwood?

Lol, thought I'd share the wealth.. it's more than I need :)

If you've picked it up before, do you know if it's mainly hardwood/ softwood?
I mainly see pine slab there - the majority of their business is rough sewn pine dimensional lumber from what I can tell. But still a nice resource in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.