Sat the Alarms off. 11/27 AGAIN!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n6crv

Feeling the Heat
Aug 5, 2007
Hillsdale Co. Michigan
Hello, hope this is not a dumb question but here goes. This morning I had the smoke alarm going off real well. What I did was like I do in the morning I check to see if I had any hot coals and today I did. Added some small splits then some bigger stuff all real nice and dry. I had the air open all the way and the door cracked about 1/2" open. Once the fire started going good and the probe thermometer was showing 400 I closed the door. I then went to read all the new posts on the site here. Did not even think about not having closed the air down. Well after about 10 minutes the alarm was going off. The stove top was only at 400deg but the probe thermometer was at 1000 and the mag mount was running at 550. I did have a hot smell coming off the flue pipe or stove. I shut the air off and turned the blower on the stove to on. It cooled right down in no time. Was the smell just because I have never had it up that high? I have been try to keep the stove top at 550, probe to around 900 and the mag mount at 400. When I first installed the stove I did paint the flue pipe and the stove so it would all match. I used high temp stove paint. After all the burning that the stove has seen I was surprised I'm still getting a smell or some kind of burn off. I did use high temp silicone were the chimney comes threw the support box for a good seal, so could that be some of the smell?
Do I need to check something? I have been checking the chimney weekly and only been getting gunk in the very top of the chimney and in all of the flue pipe. Very hard stuff in the flue pipe but not shiny like glaze. A brush does not touch it has to be scraped off with a screw driver.

PS. Sure had one great looking secondary burn going on!

Don

Proof that the internet can be hazardous to your health! Unplug your computer now!

Time can pass too quickly when catching up on posts. It sounds like the the fire was going strong with so much air that the fire was heading right up the stack. Avoid distractions until the stove door is latched shut.

Well, I suspect by now your chimney is very clean.

If your computer is still on :p I would check the silicone at that seal you mentioned, though it's probably OK. I'd give the rest of your setup a quick once over as well, I doubt you'll find anything wrong, but it never hurts to check.

Mostly I suspect that the smell you got was because of the new high temperature - All that I've read on the stove paint says that you get a fresh dose of "Paint stink" each time you hit a new high temp, no matter how much you burn in between times.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Mostly I suspect that the smell you got was because of the new high temperature - All that I've read on the stove paint says that you get a fresh dose of "Paint stink" each time you hit a new high temp, no matter how much you burn in between times.

My experience exactly. And if your magnetic thermometer didn't demag and drop off (800-900 or so), then you haven't really tested that puppy out! (Granted, my thermometer is on the pipe only inches from the stove.)

Hello, thanks for the replys. The silicone looks fine and the magnetic thermometer hung right were it was stuck. Form what I have read it is not unusual to get the temp up over 1200 on a probe thermometer. Nothing was glowing and it coled down real fast after shutting the air down and fan on. I do think the fire was heading right up the stack and that might be why. I have been keeping a real close eye on it now. But now getting to were I'm watching it to close, for as soon as it starts climbing I start cutting it back. Will get the hang of this new stove yet.
Don

Hello DriftWood, the door was closed as soon as the fire was going well. This was not the first time the stove was used and it had been doing just fine. I never fill it full when going to bed only a couple of pieces going in. Yes WE can learn from our mistakes. My chimney is new and I have been checking it every week till I learn how it is doing. I have had one chimney fire with a older stove and it started in the Magic Heat.

Well it did it again! This time the air was down 3/4 closed and it was no were near full. The stove was not over heating about 450 to 500 and the flue pipe was not glowing just setting the alarm off and stunk. My wife is not a happy camper nor I. The temps on/in the flue were up but what I would think were safe temps. 1150 deg with the probe and 550 with the mag mount. They are at 18" above stove top. Also have a mag thermometer at 4' above the stove top and it was reading 400. I know it was not a chimney fire as there was no smoke coming out of the top of the chimney. The smoke alarm was not a solid alarm just a loud on and off sound. Getting to were if I keep the air open enough to get a secondary burn I have to worry about setting the alarm off. About the only difference from when I first started burning the stove is it is alot colder out now. I sure hope whatever is burning off the pipes will get done soon!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.