Saturday morning work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

343amc

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 23, 2005
West Michigan
This tree has been on my list of trees to remove for a while now. It was fairly cool out this morning, so I decided to get it done.

It was some type of spruce tree. If anyone knows exactly what type I'd be interested to know. Based off the cones and what I could find on the 'net, I'm leaning towards black spruce or white spruce. All I know is that every time a good gust of wind came along, another chunk of it would fall off it seemed there was more dead branches than living. It made a mess of the driveway and it was time for it to go.

A friend stopped over and gave me a hand with it as he had a new saw he wanted to try out (Poulan Pro 50CC, 20"). He's a Stihl guy but won the Poulan in a raffle. That saw, his 029 and my MS-290 made pretty short work of it. Dropped it right across the drive like we wanted to.

The rounds are a nasty mess of knots and globs of sap. I'll split and stack what I can and leave the rest for the bonfire pile. The branches were fairly straight and should make for some good kindling for the stove maybe this season or next.

There are two others next to this one that also need to go, and both of those are quite a bit taller than this one was. One is close to my detached garage and the other is too tall for me to want to drop. I know what I am comfortable dropping and what I'm not comfortable with, and those two are out of my comfort zone, especially being that close to my detached garage and not far from the house/attached garage. There is a local tree guy who does good work for reasonable prices. I'll have him come take those down sometime in the next month or so.

All said, a good days work outside with the saws.

Attachments

• before.JPG
    before.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 131
  • down.JPG
    down.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 121
  • alldone.JPG
    alldone.JPG
    294.1 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: Hills Hoard
Those can be nasty cutting them down and bucking. Worse thing about these type of trees is the number of limbs. I'm not sure which spruce this is but others will help out.

This cooler weather feels great!!!!! We hit 70 today.

Pine!!! You burn Pine!!!

No........ It will burn your house down ;)

Just kidding. Pine is fine. Love the stuff. :) great shoulder season wood. Most People don't understand Pine.

Pine burns down houses? Chit.... :)

I'm no stranger to burning pine. This was pine/spruce number 11 that I've taken out in the almost 12 years I've been in this house. Most all we're dying, diseased or otherwise undesirable looking. The house was built in 1959. I think spruce trees were on sale that year.

This wasn't nearly as bad as a blue spruce I took down about 5 years ago. That was a tangled, nasty mess that I regretted not hiring out. The blue spruce next to the one I took down today is a close second to that one which is reason three I don't want to tackle it myself.

When all is said and done I'll have one nice white spruce left and a very nice Norway spruce in the back yard. I've planted an assortment of various maples, flowering plum and redbuds over the years to replace what I've removed.

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.