Saturday's load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

red oak

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2011
northwest Virginia
So today I was cutting wood in the GW National Forest almost exactly on the VA-WV state line. Evidently a tree blew across the road, took out some smaller ones, and blocked the road for a brief time. Road workers or forestry personnel were kind enough to move pieces to the side of the road where scavengers like myself can get them. This may be the biggest load my Ranger has hauled in 11 years of doing this. I even put the last 10 pieces on the front seat beside me - I couldn't just leave them there! I got some white oak and a good bit of locust that may be ready for this winter - we'll see!

Attachments

• DSC01059.jpg
    DSC01059.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 326
  • DSC01061.jpg
    DSC01061.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 323
  • DSC01060.jpg
    DSC01060.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 329
A scrounge supreme.
Only a "supreme scrounge" would put wood in the front seat of a truck.
Way to go.
(you're addicted :) )

You made the girl ride home in back with the wood, just so you could get the last few pieces?? That's brutal!! ;-)

Looks like you may have a few pieces to burn this year but not many, from what I can see in the pics. That BL, top middle in the cab, looks promising...

Super score, nonetheless. :coolsmile:

There should be some sort of "merit badge" for the wood on the seat.

Nice spot. I love that trail that runs on the ridge through the GW on the state line. Plenty of bone jarring rock gardens and high speed descents on the bike, incredible views when you aren't pedaling.

Woody Stover said:
You made the girl ride home in back with the wood, just so you could get the last few pieces?? That's brutal!! ;-)

Looks like you may have a few pieces to burn this year but not many, from what I can see in the pics. That BL, top middle in the cab, looks promising...

Super score, nonetheless. :coolsmile:

LOL - No the picture was taken in my driveway when I got home - I didn't even know my daughter was in the picture until after I took it - she was looking in the window wondering what I was taking a picture of!

I know the oak won't be ready this year - won't even touch it. There are a few pieces of locust that might be. From the looks of it, it was dead standing for awhile and felt pretty light.

SolarAndWood said:
Nice spot. I love that trail that runs on the ridge through the GW on the state line. Plenty of bone jarring rock gardens and high speed descents on the bike, incredible views when you aren't pedaling.

Wow! You bike that trail - that's impressive! I've run it several times and yes it is beautiful. I used to get up on Saturdays and take a flashlight and run the first part in the dark so I could get to this really cool overlook on North Mountain by sunrise. Haven't done it so much since I have kids though.

red oak said:
So today I was cutting wood in the GW National Forest almost exactly on the VA-WV state line. Evidently a tree blew across the road, took out some smaller ones, and blocked the road for a brief time. Road workers or forestry personnel were kind enough to move pieces to the side of the road where scavengers like myself can get them. This may be the biggest load my Ranger has hauled in 11 years of doing this. I even put the last 10 pieces on the front seat beside me - I couldn't just leave them there! I got some white oak and a good bit of locust that may be ready for this winter - we'll see!

manna from heaven !

how can a firewood adddict pass up free white oak ?? and locust ?? not likely.

well done

OT

Score! Excellent load of really good stuff! Congrats!

Ray

red oak said:
Wow! You bike that trail - that's impressive! I've run it several times and yes it is beautiful. I used to get up on Saturdays and take a flashlight and run the first part in the dark so I could get to this really cool overlook on North Mountain by sunrise. Haven't done it so much since I have kids though.

Just the southern section that starts at the top of this fire trail and ends on the fire road at the bottom of all those banked creek crossings (6 miles of pure g ride that is a nice reward after all the rock gardens). A lot of guys ride the whole thing but that northern section requires more game than I've got even when I am in shape.

Attachments

• DSC00027.jpg
    DSC00027.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC00037.jpg
    DSC00037.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 238
red oak, that is called being in the right place at the right time. Heck, I'd have put some on the floorboard of the truck too. No sense in letting it go to waste!

Beautiful country Solar. Looks like a great place for hunting too.

Status
Not open for further replies.