Saturdays Work plus some splitting.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I hope to get up in the woods and take care of these, Cherry and a small Maple or Basswood. They are hanging over the side any ideas on how to save the tops from sliding down the hill after you cut.

Will my 3000 lb winch be strong enough to pull the whole tree back if I make 1 cut at the base.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0238.jpg
    100_0238.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 362
The winch will probably work fine but if you put a "roller" (8" +/- diameter log about 2-4' long) under the trunk the winch will work great but I would limb what I could first before I tried to move them at all. A picture of the stumps would really help.

I'm no expert but - Be careful! If you make a cut at the stump, the weight of the top might want to drop downhill and cause the trunk to jump up and hit you under the chin! Or roll towards you etc....... You might need to cut them off at the pivot point where they are resting on the edge of the hill and let the tops go down. Then work on the tops from the bottom of the hill. But, like I said, I'm no expert, so just be careful no matter what way you choose to do it.

Tree on the right I'd tie off to 1 of the 2 leaders at a time cut, recover and process. By the time the right tree is done maybe it'll get you a better look/see at the tree on the left and come up with a plan. Quite a drop off there...

...if you do try an winch that I'd secure the uphill end of the vehicle to a tree 1st...in case things get ugly fast.

I'd wrap a chain around the tops and then cut the tops off and drag only the top of the tree up. If you can't handle the whole top, make it in 2 cuts. After getting the tops up, then you can work on the trunk.

Be sure to have the video running because you may win $10K! If it were me, I'd chain off the tops to other trees to keep them from tumbling down the hill. Then I'd process the middle and find a good place to cut that top off (so the whole tree doesn't come after you). Then after processing what you can, I'd chain the truck to a tree or 2 (think funniest videos here) and winch up one at a time.

Backwoods Savage said:
I'd wrap a chain around the tops and then cut the tops off and drag only the top of the tree up. If you can't handle the whole top, make it in 2 cuts. After getting the tops up, then you can work on the trunk.

+1

3000 pound winch, I'm assuming the one on your rino? the winch should handle it, but the weight of that tree will overcome the traction capabilities of the rino. secure the rino to a tree, play out your useable winch line, and use a snatch block to doule line pull. That 3000 pound winch rating is for first layer on the drum only. as the layers build on the winch drum the line speed increases but pull rating decreeses.

I would either chain the top part and cut then use the winch to pull it up or possibly just let the top of the tree go down the hill and leave it lay.
Make sure to brace or chain your winch vehicle to a solid tree so it does not slide down the hill.

A tail chain is nice if you have shackles or oval rings on the ends to loop it through and to hook the winch line to, otherwise the hook tends to fall off at the worst possible time. A steel choker with button on one end and loop on the other works well as does a nylon sling.

I use a 10 foot nylon tow rope with hooks on the ends. Sometimes I double it up and use it with a D ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.