Sauna or boiler room?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muleman51

Feb 18, 2008
SE Minnesota
I can certainly see why it would be beneficial to have your storage and maybe boiler in the house. My boiler room in my garage is between 90-125+*. My tank is insulated with 10" chopped fiberglass and the 12x24' room its in is insulated. Can't get my storage over 160*, the room sure stays hot. the boiler itself is probably the main cause. You could fry eggs on the front of it. I have it plumbed as per top of forum. I could easily heat my house with half the wood if I could reclaim the heat. I don't know how I would get a 1000 gallon tank in the basement and I wouldn't want the smoke monster in the house so I guess I'm stuck. Haven't come up with a good idea as to how to re insulate the boiler yet any suggestions? In the mean time I think I'll pile rocks around it and get naked and enjoy it.

Well I have my OWB in a semi trailer.

I was counting on the boiler heating the trailer inside. I was sure wrong on that point.

MY boiler according to the brochere from the manufacturer is insulated with R20 Batts and Has tin siding I can touch it anywhere and there is no Heat.

The door is double insulated and you can touch it anywhere and its the same thing.

So that I assume is your answer IMHO Plain old Batt insulation.

Attachments

• IMG_0513 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0513 (Small).JPG
    25 KB · Views: 204
I am actually shocked out how *little* heat my tarm puts out into the garage in which it is installed. The room is unheated, but insulated and it never feels "warm" in there, even when the tarm is roaring. Guess they did a really good job insulating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.