Sauna Stove -- Original Intrepid?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokinJoe

Dec 9, 2016
Wisconsin
Hi there,
I pulled an original and largely un-used Intrepid Vermont Castings stove from a unit in one of my parent's old houses. (Actually, it looks like it saw more use as an ash tray for cigarettes, possibly left over from when John Malkovich rented out the unit sometime around the late 70s-early 80s! ...or maybe installed after).

I was wondering if it would work well for an outdoors dry wood sauna stove. Does anyone else have experience with this or wood burning saunas? Or is familiar with the old intrepid? I can get pictures later, but I have the impression it had a coal conversion installed and was also wondering what I would need to do in order to bring it back to burning wood? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks again!

I don't have knowledge of your particular stove, but I do have knowledge about saunas. The main things for sauna stove safety is oxygen, carbon monoxide, and clearances. If the stove is drawing air from inside the hot room of the sauna, the space may be too small/sealed and can deprive the room of oxygen or add dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. An oak kit would help prevent this. You also want to make sure that the stove you use has proper clearances away from any combustibles.

Status
Not open for further replies.