Sausage making day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds like a recipe worth sharing....hint hint
We really don't have a recipe for say ....we buy bulk brat seasoning from local butcher then add other ingredients to taste. We use "restricted " melt cheese from Bongards creamery . Its the cheapest we've found shipped to our door and they have several flavors also. Look them up on the internet they don't advertise the restricted melt cheese there you have to call but it is oh sooo gooood.

Sent from my rooted and eclipse running X2--thanks nitro--

I had no idea that there were two of us sausage makers on this forum, although I have never made more than abour 3 pounds at a time.

I have a small hand stuffer, I could never make anything like that impressive collection!!!!!!!

However, here is one of my home made sausages cooking on the open wood fire:

Fire5.jpg
dammit that looks right fine, there!

Our other smokers are too big fir just 150 lbs of meat. We made this one-- our "big" smoker -- two years ago for a company cookout and to use for school fundraising.
shmodaddy, that's shmo shmoker than I have ever seen on wheels! probably fit around 4 pigs and 4 deer (and countless beer can chickens) in that bad boy AT THE SAME TIME!

Could some of you experts comment on the use of natural pork casing -vs- colagen style?
We've always used natural, (purchased), but it is extra effort to rinse, soak, load on stuffer, and put up with the various holes and tears. So, have been thinking of switching.
(I see from the photos that both types are used here)

shmodaddy, that's shmo shmoker than I have ever seen on wheels! probably fit around 4 pigs and 4 deer (and countless beer can chickens) in that bad boy AT THE SAME TIME!
Lol yes it has 12 ft of cooking surface By 4ft wide! We have put 75 ribs in it on one cook and 400 brats later that day! 35 ribs and 24 halves of chickens on it one day and still had room but our very first cook on it we put 69 - 7to 8lb pork butts on it!! We said some prayers that morning but it cooked them great for 24 hrs. Slow and low is the name of the game for that thing

Reactions: ScotO
Some pics loaded with meat. Chicken n ribs my favorite!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347802435597.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347802435597.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 142
  • uploadfromtaptalk1347802496451.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347802496451.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 138
One of my favorite foods ,wish it was a bit healthier.

Reactions: Thistle
natural casing is the only thing we use....tried the synthetic, not as good imo
^^^^^^^^
X1000

We started out making brats with a group of guys at a mutual friends house and he kept inviting more and more people. Ended up having 12 r so opinions on how stuff should be made, it became a real clusterF real quick so three of spun off and started our own thing and haven't look back since. The three of us Help each other grind, mix, and stuff their brats how ever they want. Works out great and our wifes help package the brats in vac bags. They bag, vac, then date each bag , it really us a good time enjoyed by all. Our first year we spun off we tried the collagen casings and did not like those at all. All nat-ur-al is the only way to go. Just gotta love that "POP" when you bite! Can't get that with synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.