Save 56% Non-Contact Laser Thermometer $25.99 @ Harbor Freight Tools

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmjr

Feb 16, 2010
Corners of PA-OH-WV
With Coupon

offer ends 05-16-10

Or can anyone suggest something they like better?

Bump

Offer still good.

Just out of curiosity, could you use this to test the temperature of the heat exchanger and compare the heat output of various brands of pellets?

It seems like the ideal place would be the exhaust vent to eliminate all of the variables.

Just exactly how would you use this tool with a pellet stove?

It will read surface temps of anything you point it at...laser is for pin-point accuracy of area desiring to read temp.

They are more accurate when target area is within more reasonable distances.

Reflective surfaces will give inaccurate readings so some will place a piece of black tape or just spray a spot of high-temp. paint if it is in a inconspicuous spot.

There are many thermometers of this type out there...some are better... some are more costly...the choice is yours.

Pay attention to the temp. range for your intended use...some inexpensive models don't work at higher temp. ranges.

If you don't mind spending $20.00 this Panel-mount digital Remote Probe Thermometer
by COLE-PARMER is a great temperature gauge. I can't say enough good things about it. You can really dial-in your stove settings and also evaluate different brands of pellets.

Just stick the probe into a heat exchanger tube and mount the display wherever you want. Looks very stock when mounted on the stove.

http://www.amazon.com/COLE-PARMER-P...03NUZL0I/ref=sr?ie=UTF8&qid=1293068658&sr=8-9

I own the gun from harbor freight it works great. I usually point it to the exhaust and check the temp of my stove. I am usually about 130* to 150* about 3' from the the floor. I show how to use it in part 2 of my breckwell pellet stove video on youtube about 2 min. 15 secs. in. Hope this helps out. Also if you live near a harbor freight I heard they are giving away 25% off coupons the day after Christmas. I paid about $20 for mine on sale about 4 months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPz9NTW13Uc

The temp. guns don't work that good on bear pipe. Put some black tape or paint a black spot on the pipe, then take a reading. I'v got scotch tape on mine and the diff. is 76 without the tape 175- 180 or more with the tape on the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.