Save yourself some misery...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez, I read the whole thread. Quite the stories.

I didn't know you could do anything for a clogged leach field.

This is my first place with a septic tank (it's only 5 years old or so).
I can second that part about being upwind from the truck.
I was able to find the cover myself under the lawn, thankfully.
The guy had what looked like a big weedwacker on a long stick to break stuff up in the tank.

One of the better ones that I've seen is the pump truck with the warning on back - "Caution, May be Transporting Political Promises"

Another is the carefully located sign I spotted on our Hawaii trip this summer - it is on Hilo at the start of the path to the area where one can see the lava flowing into the ocean - I think they are officially refering to the path, which is rough, but it applies even more to the immediate area... :sick:

Attachments

• img_2493-red.jpg
    img_2493-red.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 212
[Today...here in G-vegas it costs 3K just to "open up the street" for water or sewer.[/quote]

You must be a neighbor..I am one town over from the infamous G Vegas :)

Vt said:
Funny seeing this post... I just recently had the same problem! I have a large building used to me an inn/tavern, and in the ten years I have been here, NO plumbing problems at all..... well, suddenly, one room had backup coming in shower and up under toilet when room above flushed... GREAT! SO, used a manual snake, NOTHING..... rented a power snake, 75 feet..... after a lot of hard work, Success! OR WAS IT??? We pulled the snake out and out came HUGE GLOBS OF.... well, what is it? OK, gloves on, open up a glob and ...... WIPES! It almost looked like a few kinds, maybe some paper towels mixed in, all still intact... HUNDREDS of them! Ok well.... no one had been using that sewer line for a month or two.... BUT you guessed it, the last person living in that space, my daughter and her new born and a 10 yr old..... SO she claims to NOT have been flushing the wipes but for sure someone was..... we said LETS SNAKE IT AGAIN AND MAKE SURE.... well we had the septic open outside and my son was watching to see if it broke free (we stuck a hose down the toilet drain (removed toilet) and also stuck the snake down there..... so suddenly he yells OH MAN U GOTTA SEE THIS.... I go out and TONS .... HUNDREDS.... of globs and globs of solid packed WIPES! It went on for 20 minutes or longer .... water.... WIPES...... water... nothing..... WIPES..... unreal..... we figure we had 20 or 40 feet of pipe SOLID PACKED with wipes and or paper towels .... BUT of course NO ONE DID IT! And famous last words of my daughter .... I DO NOT FLUSH THEM.... BUTTTTTTT..... they ARE flushable! YEAH OK..... that is why we never had a clog, even operating as a hotel (this bldg) for 50 yrs..... we are here 10, and no troubles, until.... BUTT WIPES. SO I SAY THEY ARE NOT flushable.... I do not care what the company says..... i think they are thin and flexible and tend to hang up along the pipes maybe on any rough spot, or they are too lightweight and stick to sides, and then buildup.... the chunks we had looked like 100 wipes were all rolled up and tangled up together.... and must have been in there for months... and yet NO sign of degrading... still totally intact... no good. SO I agree with the original poster SAVE YOURSELF OUR MISERY DO NOT FLUSH BUTT WIPES, cleaning wipes, baby wipes, polish wipes, NO WIPES..... and no paper towels.

TRUE TOILET FUNNY ONES.... relative dropped phone in friends toilet, flushed, saw it at last moment too late.... clogged toilet, homeowner removed toilet and removed phone caught in the toilet S pipe.... and the toilet was cracked! Her phone broke it.... she had to buy them a new one! And of course her phone was garbage.... costly boo boo.

Ok so my sister moves into new house.... toilet wont flush.... snake, no help.... husband decides toilet no good... removes, replaces..... helper lays old toilet on truck bed..... and what rolls out of bottom of toilet? AN ORANGE!!!! Parents ask children HOW THE HECK DID AN ORANGE GET IN TOILET???? OHHHHHHh says son, THATS WHERE MY ORANGE WENT! He had placed it on the back of bowl to wash hands before eating orange and turned around it was gone, apparently rolled into bowl and someone flushed!

OK so then she buys a house down the block.... redoes it, moves in, rents other house....... shortly after, poor drainage in new house.... call plumber.... who says call and have septic pumped.... they do.... water backflows into septic.... guy says IT IS YOUR LEACH FEILD.... call roto rooter... they do.... guy cleans leach lines.... holds out handfuls of PLASTIC BAGGIES and says HERE IS THE PROBLEM there was TONS AND TONS Of these in the pipes blocking the drain holes and such..... apparently, the prior owners someone had a drug problem and was flushing the little baggies (so spouse would not know) for quite some time.... the guy said he sees it often!

SO u just never know!

That was funny. You Should go into business on promoting non use of wipes in a septic tank. I'm still laughing.....where "did I put that orange?...hmmm" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.