saving ash trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

razerface

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2014
Ohio
anybody saving any? I will cut hundreds of them in the next few years, but in front of the shop, there are only 2 trees left, both ash. I am paying $180 per tree, per year, to keep them alive.

They get their shots in a few weeks.

edit: Just reread the quote,,,the shots last for 2 years, so will be $90 per year, per tree.

Last edited:
Nope, I just cut all of ours down, first week in March. None of them were huge so I didn't get a lot of wood out of them, about a cord split so far. I still have some up in the woods to buck up, maybe another half cord. I hate to see these trees dying, but after all the wood I used this winter, I had to replenish my stacks and fast. The ash was just the ticket. Now on to scrounge more of it.

We still have plenty to cut. All are dead.

Mine are ok for the moment, but several VA counties are seeing outbreaks. Good luck with yours, maybe the storm will blow over ya in a few years.

Are you dealing with disease or beetle in your ash trees. We have pine beetles killing a lot of trees in my area, lots of standing dry pine on national forest ..zip for hardwood.
Hard to see lots of trees go down that way, some is being salvaged with commercial timber sales but a lot will be left to mother nature as to rugged to access

Are you dealing with disease or beetle in your ash trees.
Ash bore wiping us out. I flew over the woods last summer and it looked bad. Big dead holes in the canopies everywhere.

Are you dealing with disease or beetle in your ash trees. We have pine beetles killing a lot of trees in my area, lots of standing dry pine on national forest ..zip for hardwood.
Hard to see lots of trees go down that way, some is being salvaged with commercial timber sales but a lot will be left to mother nature as to rugged to access
Emerald Ash Borer. Amazing how quickly they can take a tree, the woodpeckers are feasting though.

Emerald Ash Borer. Amazing how quickly they can take a tree, the woodpeckers are feasting though.
Oh man! It sounds like a construction crew on steroids out there in the woods!

I think I have 2 pair of redheads now,,which I never had before.

I just dropped, cut, and split a 24" ash in my yard Saturday that was pretty close to dead last year. There's 3 more dead that are larger that I need to do something with soon, 2 are dangerously close to hitting the house depending on how they fall and the other is leaning over the corner of my detached garage.

There's a heck of a lot more further from the house that I haven't decided if I'll leave or cut. I either will need to buy a 4 wheeler or decent garden tractor with chains to haul out the wood, or just leave them as habitat. It kind of sucks to see so many ash trees dying at once. But at the same time, it'll give my oak and hickory trees more room to grow. Besides the heating aspect, I prefer trees with nuts to bring in more wildlife.

i hope they do not bring in the little tiny wasp that is supposed to kill them. Every time the gov't brings in a new species,,,it messes something else up.

Our little corner of southeastern PA has been spared so far, but it's closing in on us from all directions. I'm very interested to hear how treatment has worked out, for you veterans. I have a half-dozen ash trees across my rear property line, currently my only screen from a new house they're building on the lot behind me, which I will be paying to treat when the time comes.

Initially, the wife wanted to have our trees treated, but I knew that we'd only be delaying the inevitable.
I already have young trees growing to take their place.

Initially, the wife wanted to have our trees treated, but I knew that we'd only be delaying the inevitable.
I already have young trees growing to take their place.
you can keep the trees if you pay for treatment. The bugs will kill the young trees too.

... and I've read people quoting evidence that the trees saved may do fine years from now, once the EAB population passes thru / stabilizes.

... and I've read people quoting evidence that the trees saved may do fine years from now, once the EAB population passes thru / stabilizes.
yea, but since the bugs will still be hungry,,,,why wouldn't they turn around and go back for more ash trees? They seem capable of moving to wherever the trees are.

I agree. I think the original statement being made was that they're moving as a swarm of staggering proportions, across this new and almost unlimited food supply. Years from now, when 99% of the ash are gone, the EAB population will dwindle, then stabilize at some small shadow of its current numbers. Also, predators will increase, either naturally or thru un-natural introduction.

Girlfriend's son-in-law is the materials guy for Rawlings in Dolgeville, NY & MLB uses their Baseball bats. Ash is the material used for that product & he's having to travel farther & farther from the home base just to find trees worth using. Gonna get worse before it gets better, I fear...

Girlfriend's son-in-law is the materials guy for Rawlings in Dolgeville, NY & MLB uses their Baseball bats. Ash is the material used for that product & he's having to travel farther & farther from the home base just to find trees worth using. Gonna get worse before it gets better, I fear...
Do they use alumn bats in baseball?

Yep... I suspect ash axe / hammer handles are soon to be a thing of the past. It'll just be hickory and synthetics from here on out.

I have box elder trees (bugs) in some of my place. I paid thru the nose a couple of years for tree service treatment.. then worked for a tree service. l learned that the capsules that are inserted are available to general public. , If you're CCS your own wood supply it's aDIY project. Don't remembered co name but spring as sap heads up it best

I have box elder trees (bugs) in some of my place. I paid thru the nose a couple of years for tree service treatment.. then worked for a tree service. l learned that the capsules that are inserted are available to general public. , If you're CCS your own wood supply it's aDIY project. Don't remembered co name but spring as sap heads up it best
i have never heard of capsules for the EAB. Everything i saw was a "shot" injected into the tree. Like you say,,has to be done in spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.