Saving labor while cutting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbokie5

Jan 24, 2009
North America
I've just been in the habit of laying one log perpendicular over another to elevate the one I'm cutting.

Does anyone out there have a better way to speed up the process?

That's a very good thing to do. It sure beats running the saw through the log into the ground and dulling the chain. There's a tool similar to a peavey that lifts a log up for easier cutting. I'd like one, but it's expensive.

Hey, I never thought of that.

I have one. Doh!

It was given to me by a very sweet old lady up the street who didn't know what it was.

She lets me clean out her back lot of deadfall.

I like to set the limb perpendicular along on two logs- one all the way on say the left end of the limb, and the other about 2 feet from the other end, so the limb is overhanging this second log by about 2 feet. Then just cut your 18" length, log drops to ground, lift up the limb slightly, roll log back a bit so you have a good overhang, and cut so on and so on. This is good for small to medium diameter of course, not the huge stuff.

IMHO the best labor saving tactic is to cut most of the way through repeatedly down the length of the log, then roll it and finish. If you have a delicate touch, it is also possible to cut far enough through on the first pass to just leave a little bark that will shear... I've tried the log lifter, and various other similar things, and they are a lot slower as you keep having to put the saw down, reposition the log, pick up the saw, cut, repeat... If you cut on the ground and roll as needed, there is a lot less handling of the log.

Gooserider

Well, I've done all of those and they all work.

The one idea that continues to stick in my mind is some sort of support in the middle of a log, that holds both ends in the air so you can cut towards the middle at your appropriate lengths.

Something along the lines of woodburn's suggestion.

Getting the log on to the support and having the support be strong enough to stand could be a problem. But I don't think it's impossible.

I made a manger type affair, open at both ends, and I put stumps on the log to hold it in place, but it's not really good enough, stable enough or convenient enough.

The Mennonites around here have some pretty good tricks. I'll keep on keeping on and eventually, a way will reveal itself.

For me, it's the constant bending over that tires me out and makes me sore. But that's the price you pay. The chain saw is no problem, the splitting and stacking isn't either. It's just the constant rearranging of the logs before they are cut to length.

And even with that, it's not the most time consuming aspect. In fact, it may be the least of the problems as far as time goes. It just seems to be the only part that makes my back sore.

Gooserider said:
IMHO the best labor saving tactic is to cut most of the way through repeatedly down the length of the log, then roll it and finish. If you have a delicate touch, it is also possible to cut far enough through on the first pass to just leave a little bark that will shear... I've tried the log lifter, and various other similar things, and they are a lot slower as you keep having to put the saw down, reposition the log, pick up the saw, cut, repeat... If you cut on the ground and roll as needed, there is a lot less handling of the log.

Gooserider
This is what I do as well.

relic said:
Well, I've done all of those and they all work.

The one idea that continues to stick in my mind is some sort of support in the middle of a log, that holds both ends in the air so you can cut towards the middle at your appropriate lengths.

Something along the lines of woodburn's suggestion.

Getting the log on to the support and having the support be strong enough to stand could be a problem. But I don't think it's impossible.

I made a manger type affair, open at both ends, and I put stumps on the log to hold it in place, but it's not really good enough, stable enough or convenient enough.

The Mennonites around here have some pretty good tricks. I'll keep on keeping on and eventually, a way will reveal itself.

For me, it's the constant bending over that tires me out and makes me sore. But that's the price you pay. The chain saw is no problem, the splitting and stacking isn't either. It's just the constant rearranging of the logs before they are cut to length.

And even with that, it's not the most time consuming aspect. In fact, it may be the least of the problems as far as time goes. It just seems to be the only part that makes my back sore.
i will put both knees on the ground when cutting a log and work the length of the log on my knees some cuts i can go all the way through with out hitting the ground and having less log to roll over. (i have a timber jack as well but only seem to use it if i get pinch in the log)

Gooserider said:
This works well for me too.

Sometimes I push on the round with my left foot while bucking and can feel when there's just a bit of bark left holding. The foot pressure can also keep the saw kerf from closing and pinching the bar if the ground is soft enough or held up by snow.

If there is a small gap under the round, I will shove my left foot under it to hold the round up and prevent the kerf from closing.

Cut, stop, and roll. I have a timberjack and never use it.

i will put both knees on the ground when cutting a log and work the length of the log on my knees some cuts i can go all the way through with out hitting the ground and having less log to roll over. (i have a timber jack as well but only seem to use it if i get pinch in the log)

I haven't done that, but I was a catcher for too long to torture my knees any more than I already have.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.