savings for the year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newguyjoe

Nov 7, 2008
Monroe,NY
This was the first year with our stove and we used 392.8 gallons of LP less than last year. And at yesterdays delivery price of 3.77$/G that adds up to $1480.85...i know i have to take out the cost of pellets and stuff but it was nice to see that in the end it was well worth it to get a stove.

Joe

be careful posting about savings here you'll get a lot of negative remarks.
anyway good to hear some positive.

Not exactly sure what my savings are or will be .

I bought my new house last May and installed 2 pellet stoves in September. All I know is coming from my last condo which was 1000sf and all electric, the bill was $350-$380 a month. And I was no where near as warm as I was this winter in my 2200sf home. - and girls like the fire!

no pane said:
be careful posting about savings here you'll get a lot of negative remarks.
anyway good to hear some positive.

There are savings for some but not all. A lot of the controversy looks like folks having fun or venting frustrations or just describing part of the picture. There are two separate questions.

1) Is there a dollar savings in a pellet stove? 2) Is there enough value for each of us as individuals in owning and using a pellet stove this year?

1) Can be answered as a arithmetic calculation. How much heat did you get or could you have gotten over a period of time by using pellets or some other form of energy available to you, such as firewood, home heating oil, propane, electricity, etc. What time frame are you covering (one year, three, five....) and what is your amortization schedule for equipment, estimated repair and service, and so forth. I've seen some threads with useful links to calculators that help answer these questions. The comments by experienced members here are very worth considering.

2) Can be answered only as a private matter. It includes dollars but also more. What value do you place on the time you spend on maintaining a stove, how does it make your home more or less comfortable for not just you but also your family, do you travel for work and are not at home enough to enjoy the stove, does it serve only as a heat source or do you enjoy the room the stove is in, etc. This is a personal choice. You and I could have identical homes next door to one another and come up with different answers. (Our answer to the dollar question should be identical; our overall assessment of value could differ.)

It might be fun this fall to start a discussion thread here and see if there is interest in working out at least the first of the two questions.

Stentor said:
1) Is there a dollar savings in a pellet stove? 2) Is there enough value for each of us as individuals in owning and using a pellet stove this year?

1) Can be answered as a arithmetic calculation. How much heat did you get or could you have gotten over a period of time by using pellets or some other form of energy available to you, such as firewood, home heating oil, propane, electricity, etc. What time frame are you covering (one year, three, five....) and what is your amortization schedule for equipment, estimated repair and service, and so forth. I've seen some threads with useful links to calculators that help answer these questions. The comments by experienced members here are very worth considering.

It might be fun this fall to start a discussion thread here and see if there is interest in working out at least the first of the two questions.

Aritmatic? I anit got no clue what that is, but I dont need none. Don't ned no calcaltion either kas I no what me walet saids! I bought me a pellet stove last year for $4k. I was payin $1200 a month x6 (it da same temp outside here fer all 6 winter monts), wit oil (cosst $5.90 a gal heer), so i wood hav spend $7100 on oil. Wit me new pelet stove, and I only burnd two ton of pelets dis yeer at $150 ech. That meens I saved me $6900 ths yeer burnn them pelet, and me walit told me so. And we muc warmr now wit stove dan oil. Dount tell me notin abut nedin no calcalation or artrius to figur tat out!

- Jethro
Ac financer and thremo heatn enginer PDh

Glad to hear it Newguy Joe.
By the by...you earned that return on your investment...there was no savings.
Keep loading the pellets and keep writting yourself that check instead of writting the gas co. that check.
Someone has to get paid to heat your home...might as well be you!

Wet1 said:
Stentor said:

Aritmatic? I anit got no clue what that is, but I dont need none. Don't ned no calcaltion either kas I no what me walet saids! I bought me a pellet stove last year for $4k. I was payin $1200 a month x6 (it da same temp outside here fer all 6 winter monts), wit oil (cosst $5.90 a gal heer), so i wood hav spend $7100 on oil. Wit me new pelet stove, and I only burnd two ton of pelets dis yeer at $150 ech. That meens I saved me $6900 ths yeer burnn them pelet, and me walit told me so. And we muc warmr now wit stove dan oil. Dount tell me notin abut nedin no calcalation or artrius to figur tat out!

- Jethro
Ac financer and thremo heatn enginer PDh

Daggonit, good it's summer. Me and Jethro are gonna work on our readin' and writin'. Darn lucky he has one or both paws on his wallet and 'writmetic.

Stentor said:
Wet1 said:
Stentor said:
Daggonit, good it's summer. Me and Jethro are gonna work on our readin' and writin'. Darn lucky he has one or both paws on his wallet and 'writmetic.

yoo boat writ reel gud aready so dont cha wory none bout it! We's all rites da saam down heer in georgia. cours we be dun scholing by fifht grad. Dats all we be neadin.

Status
Not open for further replies.