Saw a Bad Installation Last Night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P2110003_zpsa49db0e6.jpg

This is the beast I used to have, the Sotz. You sent in mail order for the door, legs and pipe kit and you were off and running. You could build up a wood stove in about an hour, for $45.
Dry wood, green wood, the Sotz didn't care it burned 'em all. No problem getting a 12 hour burn with that huge fire box.
I kept the same drum for 4 years, but, I knew guys who used the same drum for 20 years.
I've. Got 3 of those. Two are used and one thats never been used.

The caretaker where we have a cabin told me about another cabin he was working on. They opened up the wall behind a sloppy stove installation and all the framing inside the wall was completely charred black! Never actually burned down the cabin though!

The Scandia's had a real bad rep for casting failures, most of the time it was a slow crack but on occasion the entire side of a stove would fall out.

Status
Not open for further replies.