Saw a bad thing on TV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
Watching "flip this house" and they had renovated a contemporary house about 2000 sf. Realtor walks in and first thing she does it tell them to yank the wood stove. It looked like an Avalon. They just tore it out. I guess wood heat and saving money ain't a fancy feature in a house yet. Go figure.

David

Weird according to the national association of realtors a fireplace can add up to 12% value to the house. Morons.

I think the key word there is "fireplace" stoves are considered ugly by lots of folks. Not that i agree with that, but as a general statement thats true. I am a real estate broker as well as a fireplace guy, women alot of times dont like stoves, and we all know who makes buying decisions in the house.

I would agree with MSG. When we ripped out our zc, i wanted a woodstock stove. my wife said NO WAY, so we settled on the 7100.

Ditto. My wife was the deciding factor for the Jotul. She "loves" the look of the Jotul and was lukewarm to the PE and cold to steel black boxes.

Locally we have a realtor's column in the paper. An article mentioned that a wood stove might increase hassles geting bank and insurance approval. But we have a lot of old clunkers around still and I think this is what she was concerned about. The article then went on to say that if the installation was with a modern EPA stove or pellet stove with code approved and inspected chimney, that it would be easier to sell/buy the house.

i've seen that too. the first thing out of my mouth to my wife watching also.
there are all kinds of stupid on these house shows and there is one of them >:-(

We recently had several realtors in our house giving us an
"appraisal" on what would be a "fair market value" for our
house. When we showed them our two (2) woodstoves &
explained how much propane costs for us "country folk",
they both seemed uninterested, even though both realtors
lived in the country, and also used propane.
Then I noticed the fancy cars each had driven-up in....
I guess a couple thousand here or there doesn't matter that
much to them....

Rob

Same here. The main reason we have the woodstove, outside of comfort and fuel savings, is power outages. These are pretty frequent in the stormy winter months. In 1996 we had a big ice-storm that left us without power for 6 days. We were one of the lucky ones that actually had a generator, so we managed to save the food. But we also had two woodstoves burning round the clock. During these times, a woodstove can be a real blessing. I wouldn't think of being in the country without one.

I suppose there probably is a separation between freestand and fireplace. Seems like fireplaces/stoves have become real sticking points in the sale of houses around here. We do lot's of inspections for Real Estate transactions and we've been getting alot more of the repair work that we bid with the inspection. And it is true (atleast in my area) that women tend to gravitate either toward the true fireplace look or the cast iron if they have to go FS. Can't say I find a steel box stove attractive either.

DavidV said:
Watching "flip this house" and they had renovated a contemporary house about 2000 sf. Realtor walks in and first thing she does it tell them to yank the wood stove. It looked like an Avalon. They just tore it out. I guess wood heat and saving money ain't a fancy feature in a house yet. Go figure.

David

Surprised they didn't replace it with a remote-controlled gas fireplace that they can light up in the middle of summer for ambiance, with the air-conditioner running.

When I sold my home in Maryland three years ago, in a swanky community, the Regency woodstove was a feature advertised by the realtor! And the new homeowners thought it was a good idea for winter time emergencies. Well, the wife did at least.

I have had men and women actually fight in the showroom over freestanding vs built in. Its kinda funny, but not always true.

Surprised they didn’t replace it with a remote-controlled gas fireplace that they can light up in the middle of summer for ambiance, with the air-conditioner running.

When I sold my home in Maryland three years ago, in a swanky community, the Regency woodstove was a feature advertised by the realtor! And the new homeowners thought it was a good idea for winter time emergencies. Well, the wife did at least.

Maybe you could sell some sort of LCD TV built into the fireplace opening. That way you could have all the flames your heart desires and keep the A/C bill down. Want colored flames? No problem. When you get bored you can switch to the aquarium mode or just put on PetTV for the critters.

I realy like that idea... you want to go on a hike you just have a moving picture of a trail. I like the way you think begreen, your onto something.

MountainStoveGuy said:
I realy like that idea... you want to go on a hike you just have a moving picture of a trail. I like the way you think begreen, your onto something.

Damn, I can almost imagine the treadmill connected to TV. Walk faster, the video speeds up.

Of course you fill the screen with a nice bouquet of roses on Mother's Day.

> Hubby: What are you sulking for.
> Wifey: Sob, you forgot Mother's Day
> Hubby: Nah, I just wanted to surprise you.
> Wifey: Really?
> Hubby: (grabbing the remote) Yeah, see, I got ya some flowers. <click>
> Wifey: a. Oh Honey! or...
b. heavy tears or ...
c. door slams, car starts

Sandor said:
DavidV said:

David

Surprised they didn't replace it with a remote-controlled gas fireplace that they can light up in the middle of summer for ambiance, with the air-conditioner running.

don't laugh. i wired a gas fireplace in a customers bedroom that was 24 x 15. that room should be around 12000 btu (round figures) they put in the biggest view they could get. despite everyone told them it's to big for that room they wanted the view and the remote. the thing put out some where around 38 to 40000 btu.
i think they wanted to melt themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.