Saw Chain jumped off of Bar!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter819

Nov 17, 2006
Mountains of Western PA
Hello All;

I was cutting up a tree today that my father wanted removed. It was a 35' Black Locust. :) I am amazed at how tough that wood is. I had to sharpen my chain no less than 3 times and went through 2 full tanks of gas. I did get all but 2 rounds bucked but on my last cut, I was halfway through a cut on a 6" branch and the chain just jumped off the bar! I've never had that happen before. It just jumped off and settled down in the cut. It wasn't violent or anything. It was cutting great as well. I'm sure the chain was at the proper tension and the saw/bar are new(Stihl MS270). I had just refueled and toped off the bar oil. There were only about 5 tanks of fuel through saw so far. I use only Stihl Bar Oil and it was just checked/filled 5 minutes before it jumped off.

I examined the bar and there didn't appear to be any flat spots/mushrooming or damage to the track whatsoever. There were some spots where the paint has come off but that's normal I expect.

The chain didn't fair so well. On about 5 or 6 drive links, the teeth that ride in the grove on the bar and around the sprocket were damaged. They were beat up a little so now there are little burrs on them. They are now out of shape and won't fit into the grove without forcing them. I quit for the day and I'm going to pick up a new chain this week.

I was curious if you all thought I should file the burrs off and use the chain again or scrap the chain altogether. It is a Stihl 26RMC3 on an 18" bar.

On a good note, I'm going to have close to a cord of good burning Locust for next season!

Thanks,

Hunter

I haven't had one come off in almost two weeks. Scrap that chain. The chain catcher that keep the chain from eating you alive eats the chain alive.

Sounds like you let the chain get a little too loose. .

If the bar is OK, just get a new chain. New chains wear/lengthen a lot when they are new so check and readjust frequently.

When mine are broken in, I just tug on them before cutting. it should feel snug, with the teeth not pulling out of the bar groove when coold.

You are still ok.

The chain was new so it stretched a little and since locust is a tough as it is the chain heated up enough to stretch a bit more allowing it to derail.

No problem. This happens to many people when the cutting gets tough. In the past I have just filed the lower teeth back flat and had no problems. I suppose the proper thing to do is to take the chain to the saw shop let them see it and perhaps sharpen it on the bench grinder. A second chain is always good to have around. I have 3 or 4 for each saw including a junk chain when I suspect fence wire in a trunk and at least two that are tuned up real good for fast cutting.

On the bright side you gained some experience. I bet you could remind us from that experience on why we need to stay out of the bar and chain path.

Hunter819 said:
I'm sure the chain was at the proper tension and the saw/bar are new(Stihl MS270).

Hunter

Were it me i'd file the teeth and get back at it unless they were really mangled. As far as your chain tension, chains do stretch. After you cut with them for a few tanks and re-tension it i've had good luck with them holding the proper tension.

Just curios, did you pinch the chain in the wood?

Sounds like you didn't finish that last cut. Look in there to see if maybe there was some metal that you hit.

woodconvert said:
Hunter819 said:
I'm sure the chain was at the proper tension and the saw/bar are new(Stihl MS270).

Hunter

Were it me i'd file the teeth and get back at it unless they were really mangled. As far as your chain tension, chains do stretch. After you cut with them for a few tanks and re-tension it i've had good luck with them holding the proper tension.

Yeah I'd file 'em down too...after you do that put it back on the saw and slowly hand spin the chain around the bar and listen/feel for any grabbing by the drive teeth. btw it ain't easy to file those drive teeth either but it can be done.

Thanks Guys for all the responses.

I may have pinched the bar in my last cut. I was finishing the last cut so the piece was short, about 28" long or so. I was splitting it in half. I had it wedged between two larger rounds but it could have moved a little causing a pinch.

I am going to get two new chains and keep this one as an emergency backup. I'll take my time with it while filing it back into shape and I'll ask my Stihl dealer to take a look at it - maybe even have them touch it up.

Hunter

Hunter819 said:
Thanks Guys for all the responses.

I may have pinched the bar in my last cut. I was finishing the last cut so the piece was short, about 28" long or so. I was splitting it in half. I had it wedged between two larger rounds but it could have moved a little causing a pinch.

I am going to get two new chains and keep this one as an emergency backup. I'll take my time with it while filing it back into shape and I'll ask my Stihl dealer to take a look at it - maybe even have them touch it up.

Hunter

Keep that one as a dirt chain then and use the new one's on clean cuts.
Of all the cutting I do i've had my chain come off my saw twice...BOTH times within the last 30 days. The first time i'm truly baffled...don't have a clue why it came off. The second time, yesterday, it came off when the widowmaker (small boxelder..no biggie) I was bringing down rolled and pinched the chain and it popped right off.

Remember, those new chains will stretch...keep an eye on them for a few tanks.

Sometimes I'll save a still serviceable but 'iffy' chain for harvesting boundary trees. I just use that chain for the felling cut and about 6' of rounds...that way if I hit a nail or buried fencing I'm just happy I didn't dick up a good chain.

Just be careful when examining the drivers. They tend to get pretty chewed up when this happens, and chewed up drivers will chew up a new bar pretty quickly. They will also make the chain jump off more easily in the future. If you choose to clean them up with a file, take your time.

How's your chain catch?

The chain catch was fine; just a little scratched. I'll be going to the dealer Friday to have them go over the chain and to buy two new chains. If they think it's worth keeping the old chain, I'll have them work it over to get it serviceable again. I need them to service the saw as well. It's after the break-in period so they need to open up the carb I believe.

Does anyone have an opinion on which chains to buy? The 26RMC3 was the stock chain. It's a good chain but since I'll be buying new, maybe something different like a chisel or semi-chisel.

Thanks,

Hunter

Hunter819 said:
The chain catch was fine; just a little scratched. I'll be going to the dealer Friday to have them go over the chain and to buy two new chains. If they think it's worth keeping the old chain, I'll have them work it over to get it serviceable again. I need them to service the saw as well. It's after the break-in period so they need to open up the carb I believe.

Does anyone have an opinion on which chains to buy? The 26RMC3 was the stock chain. It's a good chain but since I'll be buying new, maybe something different like a chisel or semi-chisel.

Thanks,

Hunter

I'm rather impressed with the stock chains on both my 280 and 441. I have run the flat tops on the 280 from Stihl and Oregon and and I did not see the gain in speed of cut that I expected. I did notice that the flat top chains were easier to dull (most likely due to rocks and fence wire).

I am a guy that has a Tim Allen mentality and it pains me to confess that I believe the stock chains on the MS 280 is the best way for me to go.

Well, I talked to the dealer yesterday. I started to explain what happened and that the drive links had burrs and he finished my explanation - he knew exactly what happened. He took a look at the chain, said it wasn't bad at all, and that they will be able to file it back into shape. I also had them do it's post break-in service, and boy does that thing scream! I tested it with a new chain on some irregular crotch pieces of that same locust. My what a difference! It has noticeably more power and the new chain cuts great!

Thanks everyone for taking time and posting your opinions.

Hunter

Hunter819 said:
Well, I talked to the dealer yesterday. I started to explain what happened and that the drive links had burrs and he finished my explanation - he knew exactly what happened. He took a look at the chain, said it wasn't bad at all, and that they will be able to file it back into shape. I also had them do it's post break-in service, and boy does that thing scream! I tested it with a new chain on some irregular crotch pieces of that same locust. My what a difference! It has noticeably more power and the new chain cuts great!

Thanks everyone for taking time and posting your opinions.

Hunter

Thanks for the report back.

I was not sure that I was proper suggesting the reuse of the chain. There are a lot of things that are done in this area that are not proper but still done because of old ways that have almost became traditions. Poor people sometimes have poor ways.

Good going with your new saw, it should be a good one for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.