Saw cuts out under load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HittinSteel

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Northeastern Ohio
At my whits end here and looking for some suggestions

Nice 346XP I picked up used. Has 165 lbs. of compression.
Saw cuts like a banshee for a cut or 2 and then looses power. If I take the saw out of the cut, it will reach max revs again. Put it back in the wood and it bogs down.

I have replaced the carb with a good working one
Replaced the tank vent
Replaced fuel line and filter
Cleaned exhaust port and opened the muffler
It has a good working unlimited coil

What have I missed?

Check lines again....Sounds like one maybe pinched.

Will do. I think I need to have a look at the impulse line as well.......never checked it.

Although I do have a trade lined up for a 335xp (like the 200T) if I can't get it working right.

HittinSteel said:
Will do. I think I need to have a look at the impulse line as well.......never checked it.

Although I do have a trade lined up for a 335xp (like the 200T) if I can't get it working right.

Really sounds like a line issue. I have done this one before and when going back scratching your head at about half speed BAM there it is!

I am no expert but to me it sounds like you're running lean.. Maybe you have loose carb bolts or a leaky/cracked gasket at the carb.. Look at these things if the other ideas don't pan out..

Ray

HittinSteel said:

Is it a 335XP or a 339XP??

Also how "New" is it?

My 435T is not a Pro saw But you would be surprised. Also a 435 (Standard) that I am about to sell/trade.

Both are about 4 months old and been used 3 times. For almost an hour of use Max. Still have lots of Paint on the Bar. Just looking to trade/sell to get some bigger saws

New cost is only $299.99 for the Top Handle. $269.00 for the Standard 435.

Would have PM'd but cant post Pics in a PM and would rather you see.

Cant comment on the 346XP. And if this does not look or sound appealing (Have talked in PM's with you. I know your a "Pro" Saw guy). Then disregard.

Sorry for the hi-jacking...

Attachments

• Husqvarna 435T 1.jpg
    Husqvarna 435T 1.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 449
  • Husqvarna 435T 2.jpg
    Husqvarna 435T 2.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 500
  • Husqvarna 435T and 435.jpg
    Husqvarna 435T and 435.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 2,143
  • Husqvarna 435T and 435 (2).jpg
    Husqvarna 435T and 435 (2).jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 432
  • Husqvarna 435.jpg
    Husqvarna 435.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 669
HittinSteel,

+ 1 on fuel/impulse lines.

Couldn't hurt to throw a known good spark plug in it. I've seen wacky plugs do even wackier things. Since you said it runs like the devil for a cut or two, I think the air filter is prolly fine but can't hurt to make sure it's clean.

Walking Mayhem through a press/vac test in his thread reminded me, the 346 does not have a dedicated impulse "line" like stihl saws......no wonder I haven't checked it lol.

I'll try a different plug, but I think I already did that. Filter is good and clean.

Dex....I'd keep that top handle if I was you. Nice for the small stuff.

raybonz said:
I am no expert but to me it sounds like you're running lean.. Maybe you have loose carb bolts or a leaky/cracked gasket at the carb.. Look at these things if the other ideas don't pan out..

Ray

Interesting thought. Another symptom is I don't think adjusting the carb needles changes the saws attitude like it should......

HittinSteel said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Interesting thought. Another symptom is I don't think adjusting the carb needles changes the saws attitude like it should......

Thats not good sure crank seals are good?

I'd go ahead and vac/pressure test to confirm crank seals, base gasket, etc are good and then do a cyl. Leak-down test. 346XP's have been known to wear out the top-ends quicker than most due to the extremely high rpm's they run. (15K+, no-load, if I remember right.)

It has a newer top end and pulls 160 lbs of compression. I'm just gonna trade the thing off, as I could use a top handle for brush duty and I like my muffler modded 260 (set for a woods port this winter) and my 55 for the small wood tasks.

HittinSteel said:
It has a newer top end and pulls 160 lbs of compression. I'm just gonna trade the thing off, as I could use a top handle for brush duty and I like my muffler modded 260 (set for a woods port this winter) and my 55 for the small wood tasks.

Anytime I get nothing out on the H and L screws I assume it crank seals. >:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.