Saw died (?) Must be something simple, but what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
I was cutting a bit this morning - on first tank of gas and all was moving along nicely. Then the saw just quit. Nothing odd about things prior to it failing, it just cut off. It was near the end of the tank of gas so I figured it was just perhaps a strange way to run out (not the usual sputtering) so I re-filled and tried to get it started again but no dice. I am not much of a small engine type - I keep the gas mixed just as manual says (very careful there) and such and have stuck to the Stihl brand oil just because... I don't think the gas is too old or such as it was running great prior to cutting out and it burned almost the whole tank.

When I try to start it it pulls easy enough it just doesn't turn over. After pulling a bunch I can start smelling gas. I checked the air filter - didn't seem too bad but I scraped what little bit of dust etc was on there off.

I set the saw aside and did a bit of other work for an hour or so then tried starting it again and still the same. Frustrating to say the least.

What else should I be checking? I hate to go take it in and have it be something I should have checked myself and fixed...

Thanks in advance.

Ok.. how about in "saws/small engines for dummies" language.

Tank vent - I imagine this is some sort of a hole that may be plugged? I'll look over the saw for something that seems to fit this bill to see if I can unplug it
Coil - you got me there: what is this and how would I figure it out?

Fuel filter - Hmm... well, I know where the air filter is, I'll have to dig in the manual for a fuel filter

foul plug - now that one I do get. I did take a look at it - although I'm not sure what it should look like. It did seem that there was more black gunk inside there than I expected. The actual tip of the plug was dark but not gunked up. Again, not sure what it should look like. However this is a cheap thing to replace and give a try - if it is the problem then it seems like it is a symptom of a larger issue so what would the root cause be?

Oh - and as it likely does make a difference, this is an OLD (25 years?) Stihl 028AV. I picked it up about a year ago and put a new bar, chain, spark plug and air filter in it and have cut 6 or more cords of wood with it without issues.

compression test would be a good idea

smokinjay said:

Is that the "try to pick up the saw by the pull" test? How does that work exactly - you turn it off then try to pick it up? If you can pick up the saw it is ok, otherwise it fails?

Pull your muffler off look at the piston make sure no score marks on it from a lean out condition. Pull plug heat end up with torch then carefully put it back in and tighten and try to start.(fouled plug) Next if that dosent work check the fuel hose for cracks. Start there.

Rob

Pull plug out and put plugwire back to plug touch plug to cylinder pull rope and look for spark. if no spark- coil or kill switch if spark put some gas in plug hole replace plug and try to start closed and full throttle. if start not getting gas to carb meaning hole in gas line bad carb diaphragm or other carb gasket or stopped up fuel filter. if no start then take saw to local shop and check compression. 90something pound is the minimum. no compression means time for a new piston and cylinder. Just went through that check out smoked my saw thread.

I would start with some of the simple stuff first...

Dump out the fuel..Pull out the fuel filter and replace they are cheap enough..Check fuel line. Again you may want to replace if it is real soft..If it has the old type filter in it then the carb may be plugged. Just for ha ha's pick up a new plug and some fresh gas...

You can pull the muffler but you only see half the piston..It may be fine and the other scored beyond repair.. A compression test is always nice but I can't see where it dropped so fast the saw stopped.I don't know maybe if it threw a ring...

I'm betting on a old filter...

southbound my saw done the same thing running but felt a little weak then just shut down like i hit the kill switch

Slow1 said:
smokinjay said:

Is that the "try to pick up the saw by the pull" test? How does that work exactly - you turn it off then try to pick it up? If you can pick up the saw it is ok, otherwise it fails?
compresion tester, some saw shops will do it free.

pull top cover off and check the wire that is on the end of the kill switch. Mine just slides into a slot and it came out once when I was cutting. Lost connection and wouldn't start. I got lucky when i pulled the cover off because I spotted it right away. Otherwise, I probably would have taken it to the dealer.

If so, slide it back in and the saw will start. Worth a look.

oilstinks said:
Pull plug out and put plugwire back to plug touch plug to cylinder pull rope and look for spark. if no spark- coil or kill switch if spark put some gas in plug hole replace plug and try to start closed and full throttle. if start not getting gas to carb meaning hole in gas line bad carb diaphragm or other carb gasket or stopped up fuel filter. if no start then take saw to local shop and check compression. 90something pound is the minimum. no compression means time for a new piston and cylinder. Just went through that check out smoked my saw thread.

+1 I'd check spark first, especially if it just died and didn't sputter or change in any way first.

Sounds like what my 026 did to me last year . Saw was just about empty of fuel and just stopped . I filled it with fuel and couldnt get it going . What mine was was inside the carb fuel inlet is a screen like a secondary fuel filter . It was actually plugged up from a deteriating fuel filter due to age and ethanol ( Thank You very much ). When I dropped it by the dealer I told him I thought it needed a carb kit , he said I doubt it , It cost me about 30 bucks for him to clean it and new filter and plug and retune it . Did it again this year and he did it all again for free , he said he must not have got all the gunk out last year . Try putting fuel down the carb or in the plug and see if you get it to fire , run a little . Sure sounds like a fuel issue .

webie said:
Sounds like what my 026 did to me last year . Saw was just about empty of fuel and just stopped . I filled it with fuel and couldnt get it going . What mine was was inside the carb fuel inlet is a screen like a secondary fuel filter . It was actually plugged up from a deteriating fuel filter due to age and ethanol ( Thank You very much ). When I dropped it by the dealer I told him I thought it needed a carb kit , he said I doubt it , It cost me about 30 bucks for him to clean it and new filter and plug and retune it . Did it again this year and he did it all again for free , he said he must not have got all the gunk out last year . Try putting fuel down the carb or in the plug and see if you get it to fire , run a little . Sure sounds like a fuel issue .

+1

That's what I was getting to....

Thanks everyone for your input. We're headed out on vacation next week. Driving down to NC to visit with family etc... I think the wife would shoot me if I brought the saw along as a project - so it will have to wait until we return.

It sounds like the fuel line approach is easy enough and has a decent chance of yielding results for me. I'll take the manual with me to read up on how to do that so when I get back hopefully I can attack that angle first. It would be nice to fix it myself and not have to go to the dealer - I expect if I do take it in the cost will add up rather quickly whatever the root cause.

One thing to remember that even if you don't fix the problem yourself if you can just diagnose what the problem is will save you money at the dealer . Your saw is like any other combustion engine it only requires air , fuel and combustion in a chamber that compresses it to run , although it has to be done in a controlled amount . Find which one of the 4 it is missing or not right then figure out why and either you or have your dealer fix it .

welcome to carolina slow1

Status
Not open for further replies.