saw gas / stabil questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
In our area, almost all stations are now selling 10% ethanol. A few stations sell 100%,gas but only 87 octane.
I plan to get 3 gallons or so of 100%and add the oil and stabil to get my saws through the fall / winter, in case the 100% goes away. Would yall rather run high octane with 10% ethanol + stabil, or 87 octane w/o ethanol + stabil?

Also, do you use the recommended amount of stabil in ethanol gas, or more?
Thanks,
John

Thanks a bunch fox - I learned a lot from that old thread , let me summarize for my fellow noobs:

- DON'T let the saw run out of gas - BAD! I Didn't know that - probably most important thing there. as soon as it starts to run "lean" Sputter, I guess?, refuel!

- many new synth. oil mixes, like the stihl stuff I use, are made for modern gas, and adding a little extra to the mix is good for peace o' mind. I should read more labels.

-storage smorage.I keep my OPE inside in a cool dark basement, I'm probably OK.

- I probably need 100 more posts to get into Brother Barts' secret yak pee distribution circle. ;) Workin' on it.
Thanks to those that posted in that thread also

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
I always use husky oil for the mix and it contains stabilizer already (according to the label)

41Cl-QE9fnL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

I only mix 1 or 2 gal at a time tops, depending on how much cutting I'm doing. All I can get is 10% C2H6O around here for about 3 years now. Haven't had a single problem that I can blame on fuel.

pen

I run 91 octane ethanol free marine gas, or 100 ll av gas in my saws so I don't have the ethanol/water issues. But I can also use a 5gal can of mix in a month or less so I don't use stabil. I run stihl ultra mix & a little Sea Foam in each can of mix. A C

I always use husky oil for the mix and it contains stabilizer already (according to the label)

41Cl-QE9fnL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

I only mix 1 or 2 gal at a time tops, depending on how much cutting I'm doing. All I can get is 10% C2H6O around here for about 3 years now. Haven't had a single problem that I can blame on fuel.

pen

Cool, thanks pen. That makes me feel better.I shoulda read some labels. BUT.....doesn't your saw have .... a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. and It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.

That kinda skews things! :cool::cool:

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Cool, thanks pen. That makes me feel better.I shoulda read some labels. BUT.....doesn't your saw have .... a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. and It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.

Nope, just a little Husky 350. The four other guys that I regularly cut with all do the same with fuel and have for years w/out problem. The one buddy just bought the new Husky 562xp (think I have that number right) to replace the 357xp he had stolen, very nice saw.

Nope, just a little Husky 350. The four other guys that I regularly cut with all do the same with fuel and have for years w/out problem. The one buddy just bought the new Husky 562xp (think I have that number right) to replace the 357xp he had stolen, very nice saw.

to replace the 357xp he had stolen, very nice saw.

How long ago had he stolen it?

!!!

I don't use much mix, so I buy one gal and only mix what I will use that day. I have a plastic 500ml container, (about one tank of gas) add 10ml of oil with a kitchen measuring spoon and shake. Works for me.

to replace the 357xp he had stolen, very nice saw.

How long ago had he stolen it?

!!!

"First you traded the Cadillac in for a microphone. Then you lied to me about the band. And now you're gonna put me right back in the joint !?!" - Jolliet Jake

sorry, no more Blues Brothers jokes...

This

I don't use much mix, so I buy one gal and only mix what I will use that day. I have a plastic 500ml container, (about one tank of gas) add 10ml of oil with a kitchen measuring spoon and shake. Works for me.

I do the same thing, except I found that the cap of a standard (motor) oil bottle holds exactly 10 ml. I use a half-gallon milk jug graduated every 500ml and add one capful for each 500.

In our area, almost all stations are now selling 10% ethanol. A few stations sell 100%,gas but only 87 octane.
I plan to get 3 gallons or so of 100%and add the oil and stabil to get my saws through the fall / winter, in case the 100% goes away. Would yall rather run high octane with 10% ethanol + stabil, or 87 octane w/o ethanol + stabil?

Thanks,
John

John, I think most saw manufacturers recommend a higher octane than 87.

I do the same thing, except I found that the cap of a standard (motor) oil bottle holds exactly 10 ml. I use a half-gallon milk jug graduated every 500ml and add one capful for each 500.

Good idea!

Thanks,
John

John, I think most saw manufacturers recommend a higher octane than 87.

They do, since mixing in oil lowers the octane value slightly. Stihl recommeds 89 or higher, Husky and others I'm not sure. That said, I've run 87 mixed with just about every major oil out there and it's been fine.

10% ethanol isn't going to kill a saw (it's all I can get from a gas station around here) but you do have to realize the storage game has a few new rules. You've already read that thread. ;) Run the minimum octane your engine will run on without pinging or knocking (bigger engines). Higher #'s just cost more money and deliver zero benefit.

With regards to the amount of Stabil to mix in your fuel, follow the manufacturer's instructions. I recommend taking a look at Startron as well, very economical to use and has quite a few side benefits if you have to run ethanol blended fuels.

Reactions: firefighterjake
I run the highest octane I can find. I do use sta-bril that takes the ethanol out. Oil I will buy diferent brands.

I run the highest octane I can find 93-94. I do use sta-bril that takes the ethanol out. Oil I will buy diferent brands.

Run what you brung its a big one!

Cool - I will look into startron, and thanks all for the advice. I was misinformed by a neighbor that ethanol would "kill my saw"

Ethanol, eh . . . been running ethanol in my much more expensive sled (along with the saw of course) which takes me miles from home and sometimes miles from any person in middle of the winter . . . all without any fear of the fuel.

As mentioned . . . the real key is to pay special attention to the long term storage when it comes to the fuel in the tank or in the jugs . . . and add a stabilizer such as StarTron.

Reactions: pen
Spoke to a guy at a small engine shop and he said he won't run a small engine w/o StarTron. He's been in the biz for years so I keep a supply on hand at all times now.

Reactions: rkshed
Seafoam is also some pretty amazing stuff. Cleared up a couple issues I had like when my 390 was bogging down. I put some in the tank and it started purring like a kitten, or should I say growling like a lion.

Spoke to a guy at a small engine shop and he said he won't run a small engine w/o StarTron. He's been in the biz for years so I keep a supply on hand at all times now.

Same here.
Startron seems to work very well.
I recommend it to everyone that brings me a bike that needs carb work.
The repeat business has dried up though!

Reactions: osagebow
I wish the startron had a built in measure like stabil does. Just bought more stabil today as I was refilling gas cans and the generator after loaning them out during the storms last week. Had the startron in my hand, then turned around and grabbed the stabil out of convenience.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.