Saw goes dull quick..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I buck my smaller 8 foot pieces on a bucking horse and the bigger pieces I roll onto skids so the chain never hits the ground. I buy only winter cut wood that hasn't been dragged through the mud.

My last 12 cord (full cords) I bucked, starting with a new full chisel chain, I only had to sharpen it twice.

When I fell a tree in the woods, I buck it right where it lays. If I can't safely cut all the way through, I roll the log over and finish the cut using the top of the bar.

Definitely fix / adjust your oiler - you should be using about 7/8 tank of oil to every tank of gas - The saw makers don't make the oil tank bigger than they have to, as it adds weight to have you schlepping around more oil than you need... When the saw runs out of gas, you should have just enough oil left to be sure you hadn't run out of oil first...

Learn to hand file the chain, and touch it up after every tank. Only grind it if you hit a rock or metal, and have to take a lot off in order to get your edge back.

If the chain turns blue, or gets hot enough to start smoking, you have problems - stop cutting, figure out why, and fix before continuing.

The saw should cut on it's own, you shouldn't need to lean on it, or lever it through a log with the dogs.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
The saw should cut on it's own, you shouldn't need to lean on it, or lever it through a log with the dogs.
Gooserider

I always wanted one of those automatic computer operated jobs. What a time saver !! %-P And they come with dogs ? Who woulda known. I want the Rottweiler one. :vampire:

Status
Not open for further replies.