Saw mileage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Isaac Carlson

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2012
NW Wisconsin
I cut about 6 cord last month, and only used about a gallon of gas in the saw, including noodling. My bigger saw would have used way more than that.

Way back when I switched from 15 years of cutting timber with stihl to husky brand I noticed a bit better mileage which surprised me as I was told the stihls had a slightly longer stroke and should have gotten better mileage. I have both stihl and husky now but all are different displacements so no idea if the newer saws are the same.

I'm not sure about it, either. I have an MS310 that I consider to be good on fuel. Sharp chain helps. I typically cut 1 tank of logs at a time, then split/stack whatever's on the ground. It's always enough work to do at that time; I don't consider the saw to be too thirsty.

I’m not sure either. With the ones I could more closely compare like the 372/046, 385-395/066 the stihls had a slight advantage (in stock form) in low end stump power but was a wash for production from the fuel economy. Up until recently I ran husky’s for the better balance and smoothness but am gradually migrating back to stihl because the newer huskies are more geared for homeowners

My father in law cuts timber and out of the saws he has had over the years, stihls used the most fuel. His last stihl was a ms462. It ran good but like the gas. He uses jonsered/red max mostly with a couple echo 7310's. He said that he can cut a couple more trees on a tank of gas with the 2172 jonsered vs the stihl. That don't sound like much to us firewood cutters, but does add up when earning a living with them. I know a guy that has a saw mill in our area and he always bragged that one guy would go through 5 gallon of gas a day cutting. That's a lot of cutting and I wouldn't want to use whatever saw he had. I'm betting he spilled a lot. Lol.

5 gallons, ya, something wasn’t right. I burned 2.5 a day average with an 084 in a stand of white fir 32” dbh average on gradual ground. It was an experiment and it showed me without a doubt that fuel economy trumps power. That was the most I burned out of that saw even more than large old growth on flat ground. I would burn over 2 gallons with a 660 or 385 on tree length jobs with nothing but stump time. The 395 was also not very economical

Reactions: duramaxman05