saw mill scraps??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slthompson

Oct 19, 2008
southern KY
I have just bought a load of firewood from a local saw mill. Seems a lot of people around here burn this stuff. It is oak, hickory, cherry, in 6x6 squares. Just wondering if this is ok to burn in a wood/coal furnace, and if it needs to be seasoned a lot before I burn it? Looks like it was just sawed a couple months ago

I'd think a couple months should be pretty good for those mill ends. You'd probably prefer a few more, but they are so dissected they season in a season. Do you have any dryer stuff to start with and or mix in?

If you have a moisture meter, check it. Given how small the pieces are, it may season more quickly. I get mine from a nearby mill, but it's longer pieces--3-5 ft. The mill here has wood piles that have sat in their yard for a year--it's cracked and silvered. This year I had them deliver it for the first time--I got a dump truck load, which ended up giving me 565 cf. This is my first year with an efficient EPA stove. I think I'll need more wood than I've got because our heating season is so long--I'll get another truck bed full in my pickup this week. (Had to get the roof on my over flow woodshed fixed, now that's done I've got a place to store it and process it when I've got time.)

well I cut some maple out of tree top the other day that had been down for 6 months. But I was wondering if I am wasting my money buying these or if they burn pretty good? I have never burned wood until this year so I have a lot of Q's!!

If they are flat slabs? don`t let them get wet. they absorb moisture like crazy. And when nice and dry mix with real cordwood. otherwise they will burn too hot.

ScottyT said:
I have just bought a load of firewood from a local saw mill. Seems a lot of people around here burn this stuff. It is oak, hickory, cherry, in 6x6 squares. Just wondering if this is ok to burn in a wood/coal furnace, and if it needs to be seasoned a lot before I burn it? Looks like it was just sawed a couple months ago

If it's anything like mill-ends over here it's kiln dried and ready to burn. It's hard to keep a fire over night with mill-ends but I'd burn 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.