1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

saw mill scraps??

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by slthompson, Oct 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slthompson

slthompson New Member

Loc:
    southern KY
    I have just bought a load of firewood from a local saw mill. Seems a lot of people around here burn this stuff. It is oak, hickory, cherry, in 6x6 squares. Just wondering if this is ok to burn in a wood/coal furnace, and if it needs to be seasoned a lot before I burn it? Looks like it was just sawed a couple months ago

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Marty

Marty Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Pittsburgh
    I'd think a couple months should be pretty good for those mill ends. You'd probably prefer a few more, but they are so dissected they season in a season. Do you have any dryer stuff to start with and or mix in?
  3. InTheRockies

InTheRockies New Member

Loc:
    Northern US Rockies
    If you have a moisture meter, check it. Given how small the pieces are, it may season more quickly. I get mine from a nearby mill, but it's longer pieces--3-5 ft. The mill here has wood piles that have sat in their yard for a year--it's cracked and silvered. This year I had them deliver it for the first time--I got a dump truck load, which ended up giving me 565 cf. This is my first year with an efficient EPA stove. I think I'll need more wood than I've got because our heating season is so long--I'll get another truck bed full in my pickup this week. (Had to get the roof on my over flow woodshed fixed, now that's done I've got a place to store it and process it when I've got time.)
  4. slthompson

slthompson New Member

Loc:
    southern KY
    well I cut some maple out of tree top the other day that had been down for 6 months. But I was wondering if I am wasting my money buying these or if they burn pretty good? I have never burned wood until this year so I have a lot of Q's!!
  5. RedRanger

RedRanger New Member

Loc:
    British Columbia
    If they are flat slabs? don`t let them get wet. they absorb moisture like crazy. And when nice and dry mix with real cordwood. otherwise they will burn too hot.
  6. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    If it's anything like mill-ends over here it's kiln dried and ready to burn. It's hard to keep a fire over night with mill-ends but I'd burn 'em.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.