saw recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
I'm about to get another saw and would like some input from you guys. Currently I have an older 55 rancher 18" Husqvarna and a little stihl ms 170 16. Both of these have been and still are good saws but I'm cutting a lot more wood than I used to. Need one with some get up and go. Would like around a 20" or so and 50+ cc. I prefer stihl or Husqvarna but am open to others. Tia

I'm about to get another saw and would like some input from you guys. Currently I have an older 55 rancher 18" Husqvarna and a little stihl ms 170 16. Both of these have been and still are good saws but I'm cutting a lot more wood than I used to. Need one with some get up and go. Would like around a 20" or so and 50+ cc. I prefer stihl or Husqvarna but am open to others. Tia

I run a Stihl MS261 which is a 50cc saw and I really like the saw. Longest bar it can use is a 20", but I run an 18" on it. Based upon what you already have, I would say go with a 60cc saw if you want to run a 20" or 25" bar on it. I'd recommend the MS391 or the MS362. They are both 60cc saws, but the MS391 is a ranch saw and weighs a pound, maybe two, more than the pro level MS362. However, the price difference is $150 or so. If you can really swing it, take a look at a 70cc saw like the MS441. That thing can run a 25" bar no problem, but it is $1,000+. That is actually the next saw I want. For me, it is a good compromise between my 50cc MS261 and 90cc MS660. Then, I just need a small saw for the really tiny stuff.

I picked up a husky 450 rancher this spring. Its been a great saw so far. I have cut about about 10 cords with it and did some random trimming here and there. It is only a 50cc but when paired with a 20" bar and a semi chisel, narrow kerf chain it rips through oak pretty darn good. I have taken on 19-22" Oak without hesitation. Its not going to win a competition race but cuts fast enough for me. The trick for best performance is to keep the chain SHARP! (And file down the rackers on the chain a smidgen) I would definitely by it again. Or jump up to the 460 rancher (the one I was looking at had a 24" bar), but to me the extra weight wasn't worth it as an additional lighter limbing saw is not in my budget at the moment. The 450 is a great all around saw in my findings.

Need a budget to work with. I use a 291 with a 20" bar and it's alright. As usual, more cc's would be better to pull that length bar

A 361 would do what you want

Top of line 60cc saws these days would be Husqvarna 562XP (aka Jonsered 2260) and Stihl 362 (M-Tronic version).

Husqvarna 555 is the less expensive, detuned version of the 562XP and a nice saw.

Check out the Dolmar 6100 if you have a good dealer nearby.

Any one of these will have noticeably more "get up and go" than your 55.

the 361 has been replaced by the 362.. and it sells for $700ish.

It's a nice saw for sure.. but I think the new Stihls are overpriced.

For less $, you can get a Makita/ Dolmar 6401, which is a more powerful and rock solid saw. If you ever think it doesn't have enough power, they sell a big bore kit for it which makes it into the Dolmar 7900.

The best bang for the buck and good dependable saw I vote for the Makita 6401.

Reactions: Jon1270
Makita 6401 (discontinued and replaced by 6421) has good power, but if I'm lugging that bulk and weight, I'm definitely upgrading it to 79/84cc (I did the OEM 79cc kit). I'd much rather have the 6100 over a stock 6400/6401/6421.

Last edited:
Husky *Triple Nickel* is what you want.

Has features the 562XP should have and lacks the features it doesn't need.

Reactions: TreePointer
+1

If I didn't already have a MS-361 that I purchased five years ago, I'd be very happy with a 555.

Rebelduckman, are you planning on replacing your current saws, or adding to them? If replacing, I’d recommend a pro 50cc saw, either the Husky 550xp or a Stihl 261. My 550 pulls an 18” bar with authority and I could see it being happy still with a 20” (although it’s so nimble I sometimes wish I’d gone with a 16” or even shorter for limbing). If adding to your collection, go up to 60cc or more. I’ve heard good things about the Husky 555 that’s been mentioned here. And the Makita 6421 is a heck of a saw if you can find one that Home Depot is selling from the rental department.

I think most of the other users are spot on with the Stihl 361/362 or Husky 5xx recommendations. To make a big enough step up from what you've got that it would be noticeable, you'll want to be in the neighborhood of a 60cc engine. I've got a Stihl 390, which is technically a non-pro saw, but has a 64 cc engine and can swing a 25" bar without complaint. Since they don't make those any more (replaced by 391) you might be able to find a gently used one for about $300. Keep one or the other of the smaller saws for limbing or trimming down splits, and you'll be in pretty good shape.

Yeah some good recommendations allround.

The 365 is very popular around here and is enough saw for the majority of firewood cutters.

My 555 & 20" bar is a match made in heaven. I have a 24" jammer for the odd oversized Fir's and it pulls well.

Iam a husky man so cannot comment on the Stihl's.

Rebelduckman, are you planning on replacing your current saws, or adding to them? If replacing, I’d recommend a pro 50cc saw, either the Husky 550xp or a Stihl 261. My 550 pulls an 18” bar with authority and I could see it being happy still with a 20” (although it’s so nimble I sometimes wish I’d gone with a 16” or even shorter for limbing). If adding to your collection, go up to 60cc or more. I’ve heard good things about the Husky 555 that’s been mentioned here. And the Makita 6421 is a heck of a saw if you can find one that Home Depot is selling from the rental department.

I'm just adding to and getting a bigger one. Been happy with them but since I'm planning to heat 100% with wood I want something with a little more power.My dealer has both saws so it's gonna be a tough decision

Just make sure to get your hands on a bunch of the models mentioned before you buy. It can be worth paying a little more for less weight, better antivibration technology, etc.

Just make sure to get your hands on a bunch of the models mentioned before you buy. It can be worth paying a little more for less weight, better antivibration technology, etc.

Yep I'm gonna look at several. Don't want to second guess myself later

Dolmar makes some good saws and are usually a little cheaper than husky amd stihl and its not because the quality is worse either. A dolmar 5105 is a good screamin little 50cc saw and will handle a 20" bar. The 6100 is a real nice saw. Good power and balance. I ran my father in laws last weekend. He cuts timber and he uses that saw 90% of the time. Jonsered makes some good saws too. They have pro saws also. I have ran a 2156, 2260 auto tune, 2172. They are twins to husky pro saws.

I've been on a saw-acquiring binge over the last couple of years. I think I'm up to about 16 at the moment, but it's feeling a little crazy so now I'm beginning to pare down the collection. For practical purposes I think I really only need two, and those will probably be a nice little ~50cc, and a big guy (relatively speaking) of some sort. The 50cc will be either the 026 or the 346XP, and for the bigger one I'll either keep an 044 or my Makita 7901 (nee 6401). I have multiple 60ish-cc saws to choose from, but too much of the time I prefer either something smaller and lighter or something bigger and stronger. I think 60cc is a great choice if you're only going to have one saw, but I'm not sure it's a necessary size in a multiple-saw arrangement.

Status
Not open for further replies.