1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Saw Sharpening Jig

Post in 'The Gear' started by dtabor, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtabor

dtabor New Member

Loc:
    Lake Elmore, VT
    Ive read a few of the posts here on sharpening chainsaws. I was browsing a catalog and saw the Granberg Filing jig. Looked like it would work well for newbies like me trying to sharpen their saws the quickest and best they can. Anyone of the verterans here seen/used this unit. What do you all think?

D

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    I personally use an Oregon sharpening jig. It works well when out in the woods and it's relatively cheap at about $20.
  3. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    The pros all sharpen by hand and eyeball everything except the rakers, but that takes some practice. I would shy away from a jig per se, but get a file holder that shows you the correct angle, which is the most important part of successful chain sharpening. Once you learn to sharpen by hand it's remarkably easy, but it's a steep learning curve, and perhaps not worth it for casual users. But if you cut more than a couple of cords a year, then I'd say it's worth learning. The jigs I've used don't allow you the freedom of hand motion and the ability to apply pressure at critical points in the stroke to get the right edge on the cutter. JMO.

People who use hand grinders seem happy with them, too, but it's hard with a rotary grinder to get consistent results, tooth-to-tooth. The first thing most professional loggers do when they mount a new chain is put a file to it.
  4. dtabor

dtabor New Member

Loc:
    Lake Elmore, VT
    I have one of the file holders and that certainly was a step up from eyeballing like I was first taught but just wondered if there was an even "easier" way then I spotted this thing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.