Saw / Splitter Sizing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You better have a darn fine 70-80cc saw and learn how to use it.....Oh and Awesome Place!

SolarAndWood said:
WhatIsChazaq said:
Thoughts on tractor PTO splitters? We're buying a 45 horse Kubota from the seller of the property. Seems like it would be overkill and a lot more fuel than a simple tag along gas powered unit.

My older 32 hp Ford does a lot of work on not a lot of diesel. The backhoe with a PTO pump works great; the splitter tied directly to the 8.7gpm pump on the tractor is not so great.

I have a 32 HP deere and a pto splitter , I love it . Really It doesnt use much fuel at all . Last year I used about 5 gallons of diesel for 14 full cord so I dont really think its to bad . I also have a speeco self contained splitter and I have on it its third engine . As far as putting the splitter on the tractor its about a 10-15 minute job .

webie said:
SolarAndWood said:
WhatIsChazaq said:
Thoughts on tractor PTO splitters? We're buying a 45 horse Kubota from the seller of the property. Seems like it would be overkill and a lot more fuel than a simple tag along gas powered unit.

My older 32 hp Ford does a lot of work on not a lot of diesel. The backhoe with a PTO pump works great; the splitter tied directly to the 8.7gpm pump on the tractor is not so great.

I have a 32 HP deere and a pto splitter , I love it . Really It doesnt use much fuel at all . Last year I used about 5 gallons of diesel for 14 full cord so I dont really think its to bad . I also have a speeco self contained splitter and I have on it its third engine . As far as putting the splitter on the tractor its about a 10-15 minute job .

3 motors what the heck you spliting concrete?

I love my 362!! if there is something on your property ( nice by the way ) it cant handle you should probly call in a pro!! most of them will give you a really fair price if you tell them what tree you want down and let them do it at thier liesure!!! I have alot of hardwood in my property and use this method with the ones close to the house or pool. i am pretty confident in my felling abilities but usually the cost is low enough to avoid the risk of having to call the ins company. i have an RV 800 splitter with an 8 hp honda that i bought used and was previously a rental. it will take up to a 30" log and splits vert or hor. i think i gave $600 for it.. figure out what your needs are first THEN go spend your money. buy the tractor, it will prove itself invaluable especially if its 4X4 and has a loader. always remember that CASH IS KING and LUCK IS PREPAREDNESS WAITING FOR OPPORTUNITY!!! good luck

With the trees you have to cut I would want a 70+cc saw with a muffler mod. I have a ms360 pro which is the older 361 model. And while its 4.4hp will cut it it will be slower and you will have to work the saw in the cut. I didn't think I needed a bigger saw either until I used one. I also have a 2186 86cc and its unstoppable! I have a 32" bar on it and I can bury it in wood and it does not slow down.

The problem with a 3pt splitter is that it ties up the tractor if you only have one. I am getting one this year hopefully. But I can use my Dads tractor to run and still have the loader to lift logs and do other stuff.

If you do not have a log lift on the splitter some log tongs come in handy.

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

You have a beautiful place there have fun and be safe!!

Billy

On buying the saw, let the land dictate what you buy. If you have all young trees then your certainly do not need a pro saw. If you have all big trees then you need a big saw. Therefore I say do not get any preconceived notions until you know for sure what you need. Then you can decided.

On the splitter, you should be able to split anything you have with a 20 ton. I have not yet seen a splitter that I liked on a tractor so I say get yourself a stand-alone splitter in the 20-22 ton range. Tractor Supply has their 22 ton for $999 a lot of the time. Other times you can probably get them to lower the price to that sale price. By all means, get and use the splitter vertically as it will save your back. It just does not make sense to have to lift every one of those logs up onto a splitter doing it horizontally. Vertical splitting is the easy way to do it. I've you've scanned any previous posts you will see that I do all my splitting while sitting down! No lifting each log for me; I simply roll the log onto the splitter and let the machinery do the work. After all, that is why I bought the thing was to save me some work.

Good luck.

smokinjay said:
webie said:
SolarAndWood said:
WhatIsChazaq said:

1st , single wedge splitters are just to slow and I use to do 30 plus cord a year . The splitter is over 25 years old . The first briggs and scrap iron lasted a whole 5 years , probably about 800 hours .

The saw: I'm not the best person to ask on this. Honestly, I think Dennis has some very good advice -- the size and make/model will largely depend on what you intend to cut, how much you intend to cut and your experience with the closest dealer. What I mean is that I like an 18 inch bar on my saw and have a Husky 345. I cut 5-6 cords each year . . . most of my wood tends to be 1-2 feet in size. My local dealer sells Huskys. Since I like the dealer (and my wife bought the saw originally as a Christmas gift) I would most likely continue to stick with Husky . . . but if they were selling Stihls or Dolmars I would probably have bought one of these makes/models. The bar size works for me since I find 18 inches to not be too short or too long . . . and the size of the saw is such that it is good for most of what I need to cut . . . it's not so under-powered that I spend lots of time cutting through the wood, but it's also not so over-powered that it's heavy for me to lug around for long periods of time.

The splitter: Dennis and I often . . . OK, always . . . disagree about the best way to split wood. I prefer splitting horizontally since I find it easier on my back and faster for how I split my wood . . . he finds just the obvious. However, the truth be told . . . having a splitter that goes vertical or horizontal will allow you to discover which way works best for you . . . and even if you think my way is the best way . . . splitting horizontally . . . at times you will find the ability to split vertically on a particularly monster sized piece of wood is a nice luxury. As for the size: 20-22 ton seems adequate for most folks . . . I went a bit bigger, but it was partly since the price was right and partly due to the fact that I have some pretty nasty wood I need to split on occasion . . . but honestly, I would say 95% of the wood I split could most likely have been split with the 20-22 ton splitter. Both Tractor Supply's Speeco/Huskee (not to be confused with Husquvarna) splitters and MTD's clones (Cub Cadet, Craftsman, White, etc.) are decent -- priced right and decently made.

Backwoods Savage said:
On buying the saw, let the land dictate what you buy. If you have all young trees then your certainly do not need a pro saw. If you have all big trees then you need a big saw. Therefore I say do not get any preconceived notions until you know for sure what you need. Then you can decided.

On the splitter, you should be able to split anything you have with a 20 ton. I have not yet seen a splitter that I liked on a tractor so I say get yourself a stand-alone splitter in the 20-22 ton range. Tractor Supply has their 22 ton for $999 a lot of the time. Other times you can probably get them to lower the price to that sale price. By all means, get and use the splitter vertically as it will save your back. It just does not make sense to have to lift every one of those logs up onto a splitter doing it horizontally. Vertical splitting is the easy way to do it. I've you've scanned any previous posts you will see that I do all my splitting while sitting down! No lifting each log for me; I simply roll the log onto the splitter and let the machinery do the work. After all, that is why I bought the thing was to save me some work.

Good luck.

Then I guess you havent seen this bad boy . Auto forward and reverse 4 or 6 way head log lift and delivery table make for one sweet splitter.
http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/log_splitters/default.asp?id=8

webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
SolarAndWood said:
WhatIsChazaq said:

1st , single wedge splitters are just to slow and I use to do 30 plus cord a year . The splitter is over 25 years old . The first briggs and scrap iron lasted a whole 5 years , probably about 800 hours .

I got around 100 cords on my honda in the last 2-1/2 years not one issue at all! other than new noise poppong all the time but not from the honda. Not even an oil change yet. 70 percent chance of rain sunday so its on the list!

smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
SolarAndWood said:
WhatIsChazaq" date="1271877575 said:

I got around 100 cords on my honda in the last 2-1/2 years not one issue at all! other than new noise poppong all the time but not from the honda. Not even an oil change yet. 70 percent chance of rain sunday so its on the list!

You havent changed the oil in 2 and a half years ? I use to change at the end of every third day of splitting .

webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
SolarAndWood" date="1271914557 said:

You havent changed the oil in 2 and a half years ? I use to change at the end of every third day of splitting .

nope and prrrrrs like a kitten.

smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie" date="1271979888 said:

Thats ok you can listen to your prrrring kitten I will listen to the stereo from the cab on the tractor.

webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay" date="1271980426 said:

Thats ok you can listen to your prrrring kitten I will listen to the stereo from the cab on the tractor.

lol I have radio head phone when I work so it really doesnt matter where I am at or what piece of equiment!

Attachments

• oakaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    oakaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 247
smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie" date="1272045643 said:
smokinjay" date="1271980426 said:

lol I have radio head phone when I work so it really doesnt matter where I am at or what piece of equiment!

Can you connect your ipod to them ?

for almost a year now I've been using these JVC earbuds instead of the big red ear muffs.

http://www.buy.com/prod/jvc-marshma...t/q/listingid/38694918/loc/101/210678361.html

I love them. The end is made of that foam stuff that you roll and insert into your ear (picture those yellow or red ear plugs on a string), so they block noise wonderfully AND I can listen to my music while sawing. if nothing else, throw your old ear muffs on over them and listen to your ipod.

webie said:
sm said:
webie said:
sm said:
webie said:
sm" date="1272046296 said:
webie" date="1272045643 said:
sm" date="1271980426 said:
[quote author="WhatIsChazaq" date="1271877575"]Thoughts on tractor PTO splitters? We're buying a 45 horse Kubota from the seller of the property. Seems like it would be overkill and a lot more fuel than a simple tag along gas powered unit.

Can you connect your ipod to them ?[/quote]

no and I am not that much up on that kinda stuff they make them for that and my wife has the ipod just cant get use to it and the way we do things on a work site I drought they would survive very long with me.

WhatIsChazaq said:
LLigetfa said:
...rebuilt them with a jug and a slug...

???
If you are going to edit the quoted section, do try to get it right.

Google is your friend... or simply search this board.

jug = cylinder
slug = piston

LLigetfa said:
WhatIsChazaq said:
LLigetfa said:
...rebuilt them with a jug and a slug...

???
If you are going to edit the quoted section, do try to get it right.

Google is your friend... or simply search this board.

jug = cylinder
slug = piston

Pobody's nerfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.