Saw storage question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suprz

Sep 24, 2012
Rhode island
I have a Husky 137. Which has served me well for 5 years, i havent put a new bar on it yet (i really should, i know) but my question is now that i will be using it alot more then i previously have, do you guys dump out the gas and run the saw dry? Or just leave the gas in it if it isnt going to be a loooong time before using the saw again? I have been very diligent in always using Seafoam, in my gas/oil mix and when the saw is put away, i usually dump out the unsued gas, and run the saw out of gas. But now with the need to use the saw more, i was just wondering....oh yeah, I HATE THIS NEW PUMP GAS CRAP! Stupid ethanol! The only good it has done that i can see is boost the sale of carb cleaner! In all my years of working on gas engines, i have never seen so many screewed up carbs and engines since they started with this junk..... Ok rant over...

If you are using it frequently , store it full , use reasonably fresh fuel with a stabilizer . You shouldn't have any problems .

Reactions: smokinj
Dosen't the 2cy oils like Stihl synthetic have a stableizer in it??

^^^ yes it does . I believe most 2 cycle oils do . But, more is gooder , right ? :) any way , I use either Startron , Or Stabil marine just for piece of mind .

I empty & run dry if not planning to use it for a while.
Old habit.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/small_engine_storage.cfm

1eg strg.jpg

When I think I am done for a while, I try to do my last fill with some of that pre-mixed you can buy at most dealers and big box stores. If I can't time it, I dump out the gas that I mixed up and put in some of the pre-mixed and run it for a few. Too expensive to use it all the time, but I figure its a good investment for long term storage.

I've never had a saw sit long enough for fuel to go bad. It's rare any one of my saws goes more than a week or three without use. If it's going to be 6 months or more, I'd probably empty it. Short of that, I wouldn't worry. The 2-stroke mix I use has a fuel stabilizer in it. I would not assume more is better, Nixon, but I guess I don't really know.

I've had more trouble trying to burn up winter gas (lower boiling point) in hot summer weather, than anything related to "old" gas.

If I'm not gonna use any of the saws for more than 3 weeks (the wee Echo & pole saw can sometime sit for 3-4 months between uses) I pour the gas back into can.Nothing else is done.Just takes a few seconds to refill the tank if they are needed suddenly.The other 2 saws get used every couple weeks minimum,sometimes daily depending on what is happening at the time.

When I think I am done for a while, I try to do my last fill with some of that pre-mixed you can buy at most dealers and big box stores. If I can't time it, I dump out the gas that I mixed up and put in some of the pre-mixed and run it for a few. Too expensive to use it all the time, but I figure its a good investment for long term storage.

X2

Can you buy premix in containers of sufficient size to make it affordable? I assume a large part of the high cost is those pint size containers in which I always see it sold.

Another option is to use aviation fuel, which doesn't have ethanol. The shelf life is equal to or longer than the premix stuff and for a fraction of the price--about $5/gal. Basically, I just put the saw on the shelf, don't worry about how long until the next use, and the saw is ready to go. My Stihl dealer actually sells aviation fuel for $8/gal. I did some research and found a local airport that has a 24 hr self-serve pump for a few bucks less.

If storing for a long time (over a year) I run them dry and spray the carb intake with WD-40 (or any oil mist) and pull the starter once. I have stored stuff for over 5 years that way with no problems. If you are using it now and then up to a year, just keep it full of gas with a stabilizer in it (like Sta-Bil). Seafoam is OK, but there are some petrolium review sites that do not like Seafoam for several reasons. I do not trust premix gas addatives to have any stabilizer in it, and likely it is not enough to keep gas fresh as long as stabilizer does, and likely it will not keep any water in suspension as well. Sta-bil will keep gas fresh for a year, and up to 2 years if you double the amount that you add. I have had zero problems with my 2-stroke engine saws, blower and trimmer stored over winter with little use using premium ethanol (E-10) gas with Sta-Bil red formula mixed in. I use Elf 100% synthetic premix oil, designed for motorcycles with a JASO FC/FD rating. Its good stuff, and it has a blue dye so you know if it has been mixed with oil.

And no, I do not work for WD-40, Sta-Bil, Elf or any oil company. I used to work for General Dynamics in San Diego though, and that was where WD-40 spun off from.

Never really thought about it . . . I figure about half the time I stop working when the saw is empty or low on fuel anyways . . . and the other half of a time the fuel and oil somehow manage to drain out on their own . . . well the bar oil at least.

Can you buy premix in containers of sufficient size to make it affordable? I assume a large part of the high cost is those pint size containers in which I always see it sold.

Baileys sells the premix in 55 gallon drums but it still comes out to around $13 a gallon without shipping. I only use a little bit of fuel for storage. A quart of MotoMix/SEF/Truefuel will allow you to store your saw around 4-5 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.