saw tachometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firemn260

Sep 20, 2014
maryland
I have a bit of a stihl saw addiction lately. I have a ms290 that's been good to me. I just recently picked up two 046 from a guy for next to nothing. One is ok the other is beat up pretty bad and compression is on the low side. My plan is to put a big bore kit and replace the plastic on the one in rough shape. Kinda hot rod it out so to speak.
Well I just came across a ms660 that I couldn't pass up. 3 year old saw that was used on the landing of a logging operation. All it needs is carb overhaul maybe. Haven't really dug into it yet.

Anyway I have always tuned my saws by ear but I would like to get some baseline numbers with a tach. I see alot of them out there but I'm wondering wich one is worth getting. Thanks

There are a lot of those type of tachs. Most just read by ignition to pulse. Any should work fairly well for tuning. Since you just scored 2 046's and another 660 , let me know if you might want to part with one of the 046's . I currently have a piece of junk, but used to run stihls when I used to do tree work for a company.

There are a lot of those type of tachs. Most just read by ignition to pulse. Any should work fairly well for tuning. Since you just scored 2 046's and another 660 , let me know if you might want to part with one of the 046's . I currently have a piece of junk, but used to run stihls when I used to do tree work for a company.

I am going to part out the bad one and put that into the 046 in better shape. I come across deals pretty often because I work on small engines for alot of people. I can keep my eyes open for you. Any specific saw you would rather have?

I am going to part out the bad one and put that into the 046 in better shape. I come across deals pretty often because I work on small engines for alot of people. I can keep my eyes open for you. Any specific saw you would rather have?
I have replaced the jugs and Pistons many times. If that's all it needs and not a crank or seals, I would be interested. I don't want to get into it that far. I actually really only need a smaller saw like a 024. I don't cut much big stuff.

I have replaced the jugs and Pistons many times. If that's all it needs and not a crank or seals, I would be interested. I don't want to get into it that far. I actually really only need a smaller saw like a 024. I don't cut much big stuff.

Unfortunately it needs crank seals wich is why I decided not to mess with it for now. I know a guy with a 029 that he may part with if you would like me to find out for you. I have the newer 290 and it's a great mid sized saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.