Sawbucks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2011
N. central Ia.
Where I cut at I sometimes have to carry wood some distance to the truck so I try to cut stuff into lengths I can get on my shoulder and then buck them at home. The sawbucks I have made over the years are made so I can pull the logs off the truck right on to them and kinda a built in measuring with the 2 middle legs.
IMG_1684.JPG
Anyone got any better ideas? Dont get to fancy on me though cuz as you can see by my portable woodshed I kinda like to keep things cheap and simple.
IMG_1685.JPG
Thats a pretty good load on the springs of that old PU trailor but it beats movin abunch of snow to get to the wood pile.

Cool idea for a wood shelter!

Ray

Had a smaller sawbuck years ago from non treated lumber that eventually turned to compost.Dug through my odds & ends pile of salvaged treated 2 x 4's & 2 x 6's,built this in late July.The boards were 45" to 49" long,so the shorter ones were the X's,49" is total length. Marks from a Sharpie at 16" & 32".Some are warped & a little twisted,its hella stout though >> Sure wish I had this last year instead,much easier to cut & haul out 3 to 9 foot poles & buck them shorter at the processing/stacking areas than keep bending over,cutting short lengths & having to pick all of the pieces up then carry them to trailer or pickup.

Attachments

• PICT0030.JPG
    PICT0030.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 139
  • PICT0036.JPG
    PICT0036.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 147
A lot of times I use my splitter as a sawbuck, put the log on perpendiclar to the beam and run the wedge up to it to "clamp" it. Perfect cutting heigth.

Sure wish I had this last year instead,much easier to cut & haul out 3 to 9 foot poles & buck them shorter at the processing/stacking areas than keep bending over,cutting short lengths & having to pick all of the pieces up then carry them to trailer or pickup
Thats what I'm all about too. Keeps a chain outta the dirt as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.