Sawdust brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sapratt

Feeling the Heat
May 14, 2008
Northwestern, Oh
A while back I asked about using wax to make a sawdust brick. The answers I got were kind of what I was thinking.
So I was thinking mixing flour and water then mixing in saw dust. The flour and water make a watery paste, when it drys
it should bind the sawdust into a brick.

Well I made one yesterday let it dry and burned it today. The sawdust was stuck together in a hard block. I let it burn for a while then looked at it nice chunk of red coal sitting there. I think that might be a way to use all the sawdust. I'm going to make a bigger
one today.

If you had enough pressure, you could use the natural lignin in the wood as the binder the way pellets are made. I wonder how many tons it would take to make fake logs? I think fake logs look and work better than rectangular bricks.

I looked at some pellet makers they are about $50,000. Well the ones I saw were. I don't know if the flour had anything to do with the sawdust
sticking or if it was just the water. I'm going to make somemore and see if its worth the time to make them.

you can get pellet makers small ones anyway cheap think i seen an ad for 500 600 hundred bucks

Here in a press I found on YouTube. Not as good as the big ones but it might work. I was just looking for a way
to use all the sawdust I make. If I could burn it then it would be put to good use.

YouTube - Demonstration of Stage III Peterson Press

Status
Not open for further replies.