Sawdust fueled boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I pack it in paper grocery bags and put them in when the boiler is ready for the second load of wood.

Viessmann Pyrot burns sawdust.

EricV said:
I pack it in paper grocery bags and put them in when the boiler is ready for the second load of wood.

Yes, as long as you have a good bed of coals, the "bark in a bag" puts out a lot of heat.

pybyr said:
EricV said:

Yes, as long as you have a good bed of coals, the "bark in a bag" puts out a lot of heat.

I have a little boat shop on the side with a CNC setup so I usually have alot of sawdust. I use to give it to a friend that has a sawdust boiler that he paid 50 grand for but now I use the paper bags that cost me 6 cents each at Aldis.

For anyone who tries this idea be sure and pack the sawdust into a container of some sort. The saw dust is highly flammable; it follows the chemistry rule that size of particle effects the speed of chemical reaction. The smaller the particle to faster the chemical reaction. Pouring the sawdust in the boiler will likely result in a flashback.

A few years back I remember reading about a sawdust fired gasification boiler built by wood-mizer (portable sawmill co) .I believe it was called bio-mizer. I am not sure if they were mass produced.

Status
Not open for further replies.