Sawdust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich L

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
Eastern,Ma.
g-mail.com
After sawing up some 4 foot lenghts of seasoned oak and ending up with a barrel of oak saw dust,it seemed a shame to just throw it out when this by product is used to make wood pellets and biobricks.Anyone know of a way to process this saw dust into wood pellets or biobricks?

Rich L said:
After sawing up some 4 foot lenghts of seasoned oak and ending up with a barrel of oak saw dust,it seemed a shame to just throw it out when this by product is used to make wood pellets and biobricks.Anyone know of a way to process this saw dust into wood pellets or biobricks?

I guess it depends on how you "sawed" them....

Using a chainsaw, that spits bar oil onto the wood shavings.... I'd be reluctant to put that anywhere near my stove. Don't need things to get that hot if you know what I mean?

I'd like to see a video of someone demonstrating the bag of sawdust added to a wood stove!!

Michael B said:
I'd like to see a video of someone demonstrating the bag of sawdust added to a wood stove!!

Pook? You're up! :)

Chris

If you create a fluidized bed by pumping air from the bottom, you can burn a lot of dust quickly. I've seen home-made sawdust burning devices that basically entrain the sawdust in a good airflow- once you have a high surface area fuel suspended in air- you can ignite it (think about a controled grain elevator explosion). Be careful with this stuff- it can go up quick. My brother throws handfulls into the top of his Chiminea and creates small mushroom clouds- WOOSH!

There are other things you can do with sawdust too. You can compost it for gardening, or use it as mulch. It is also valuable to a hobbyist mushroom grower for woodloving species. If you lived anywhere near me I'd love to have your oak sawdust for mushroom growing (I grow the legal kind! haha). Of course I wouldn't want it for any gardening/mulching/composting purpose unless you used a vegetable based bar oil (like the one Husqvarna sells).

Since we cut off and on year round I just leave the sawdust in place...or if anything I'll move it to a new staging area. I find it to be a good medium to cut on when bucking...it protect the saw tips and it's nice to take a knee on. Eventually though no matter how thick it gets...one day it's just gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.