Sawing down split wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HittinSteel

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Northeastern Ohio
I have come across some nice cherry and red oak at a good price. The problem is, the wood is split at 24" and I need 16" for my stove. I don't have a problem putting in the manual labor with my saw, but am looking for some suggestions on what type of contraptions might be out there to hold/ secure the piece while I cut it to size. Thanks

I used the compound miter saw last winter for pieces that were pre-cut and too long for my stove. Get a cheap blade and get busy!

You could make a simple saw buck - holds multiple pieces so you can use your chainsaw to cut through more than one at a time. I have seen diagrams of them in some books at home - basically a couple of v-shaped frames to cradle/hold the wood.

I just asked the same question about some free oak I got, but mine was 20-22" in length. You could cut them in half and have 12" pieces, but that may be hard to stack. I had some big rounds and did not know if it was easier to cut the big round with the chainsaw or split and use the miter saw. I used the chainsaw and cut everything. I had lots of 6" -12" rounds also. I placed them on a pallet and cut them. The smaller rounds I could line up about 8 at a time to cut. Now I have alot of little ends and some big pancakes that I will burn at some point. Jeff

If you have a log splitter, use it as a hydraulic "vise". Clamp the wood between the wedge and push plate, grab your saw and cut to length. Next.

This method was first posted by Fossil, but I have used it for years, and it works quite well.

Thanks for the input. The sawbuck is what I am looking for, although I do like the wood splitter idea..... if I had one.

Bryan

I would burn them in a different direction in your stove

Get two pieces of 2x4 and sharpen them on one side and pound them into the ground so they stick up in the air. Then get two 4x4 or larger and lay them behind the 2x4 s to be used as a log cradle. Stack as many of the splits on the 4x4 s that will fit. Position yourself so that the 2x4 s are between you and the log pile. Fire up your saw and make a cut down the middle. The 2x4 s will keep the splits from being pulled towards you when you cut. I do this all the time with slab wood that needs cut. Just take care not to sink your chain into the dirt.

Thanks for the idea Firefighter. I ended up using a pallet with a 2x4 to control the length. I then used 2 metal stakes between me and the wood to be cut. I then was able to put my foot on the non cutting end of the wood to keep it from teeter totting. It worked very well and with the metal stakes between the saw and my foot, I think it was a pretty safe way to do it.

i loved Firefighters idea too, but i would have been afraid to use the metal stakes if i accidently hit one, I'd rather it be wood.

Boy that's a lot of bending over picking up all that wood to re-cut. With the few pieces I have that are too long I just put my foot on the log and toe cut it at half throttle. By squatting at the knees, keeping my back straight and resting my right arm on my knee I can safely keep that saw away from me a 45* angle and still make production. But I dunno about cutting a whole load like that...that's a lot of wood underfoot. I suppose the sawbuck is the way to go.

The saw buck is the best solution. The old tools are many times the best! Maybe an old bench or table set next to it to stage the work to save that repeat bending of the back. I need 19+ inch for my Encore, so I am very careful in cutting to save the extra work from the usual two foot cuts.

This wood will warm you even more.

HittinSteel said:
Thanks for the idea Firefighter. I ended up using a pallet with a 2x4 to control the length. I then used 2 metal stakes between me and the wood to be cut. I then was able to put my foot on the non cutting end of the wood to keep it from teeter totting. It worked very well and with the metal stakes between the saw and my foot, I think it was a pretty safe way to do it.

No problem. You basically did the same thing just with different materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.