Saying hello...and a few questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doozer42

Oct 7, 2006
Hello all. I've been lurking here for a bit and want to say thanks for being so informative. I'm a MS Gulf Coast native uprooted and relocated to PA, so this "how to stay warm" thing is a novel concept. My in-laws use an insert and we lived with them for a year after the storm, so I've somewhat familiarized myself with it. Although, after reading some of the threads here, I realize it's the tip of the iceberg.
We recently bought a house and are looking to heat exclusively with wood, since there's plenty for the taking where we are. The house about 1200sf with really low ceilings so I'm thinking it won't be a problem. My issue is lack of knowledge. I need to do this on a budget so we are looking at used stoves. I'm a pathological researcher, so every time I've come across one, I check the reviews here. Our home does have a fireplace and due to limited space an insert is the only option. When we purchased the home, the inpector said the chimney was in great shape. I'm gathering from what I have read here, it is likely that we'll invest more in lining the chimney than we will on the actual stove. We're just lucky that they are often in the classifieds here. On that note, is it possible for a Woodstock Fireview to be used in a fireplace? From what I've gathered from their site, no. I'm just wondering.....hoping, that there is a way, even though it seems not. There's a soapstone in our paper for $500 and it's killing me that it's clearly impossible to install it here. I'm sure I'll be around with many questions as we get farther along in the process. Right now, we are using the 2 tanks of gas that came with the house, but when they get empty, you can bet the gas company is one place my paycheck ain't going.

Welcome to the pack doozer42. #1 its great your a " pathological researcher" And i suggest not just being limited to "used" stoves. Newer modern stove are worth the price over some of the older stuff being higher efficiency and burns less wood. Lots of information on here on Hearth.com .

Some information i posted in another thread------> "When looking for a stove for yourself look for stoves with “long term” in mind and not just a few $$ difference. You may want to look into the $1600. & $2000. range . You dont have to look at a furnace all the time but a wood stove is going to be a big part of your decor and your heating.

When looking at stoves take a good look inside and how things are built and how well built they are. The ease of use on log loading , ash pans are a big + . Some have them and some dont. Some ash pans are a pain in the arse and some make life a whole lot better when cleaning out your stove.

Warranty is a big feature on wood stoves. Few have life time warrants , some have a good 5 year and others are less than worth a darn. Again , think “ long term” investment."

Although everyone would love a Pacific or a Woodstock...or other new stove, you can sometimes find bargains on used ones. My suggestion is to look for models produced in the last ten years or so. Most woodstocks were made with rear vents, so they might be able to vent into your fireplace.

Yes, I think you can count on relining the chimney for best operation over the long run - my guess is that your chimney is relatively short and therefore the added draft will be a big plus.

There are some new stoves or recent (used) models which can be had for $600-$1,000 - not always top-of-the-line, but good enough until you find yourself with some extra $$. You can then always sell your model and upgrade. Folks here have mentioned Century and the new Dutchwest by CFM as being reasonable - same with Englander.

Liners can be had...for a short 6" like yours, for as little as about $300 if you can DIY.

Yes, these are the low end of budget numbers - but that is sometimes the secret of saving money. After all, it will take awhile for a Harman XXXZZVV and installation ($4000) and $300 a ton pellets to save big bucks, while a $1,000 budget woodstove install and free wood could pay for themselves in a year or two.

The truth of the matter is that most woodburners buy stoves partially as a piece of furniture, partially as entertainment and for numerous other reasons. Turned out that Henry Ford was wrong - people want their cars in all sizes, types, colors and labels.

Welcome,

the fellow woodburners here will answer your questions with the knowledge and experience that is hard to find these days.. particularly the practical knowledge , which is peace of ming when playing with fire.

Craig:

"The truth of the matter is that most woodburners buy stoves partially as a piece of furniture, partially as entertainment and for numerous other reasons. Turned out that Henry Ford was wrong - people want their cars in all sizes, types, colors and labels."

Ain't it the truth. Looking for a replacement insert I keep being shown all of these fancy stoves and decorations. I keep having to tell them that I already have nice furniture, I am looking for heat.

I showed a few pics of them to my wife and she said "But a stove is supposed to look like a stove. What's wrong with that? Can't we just keep the Sierra?"

Thats just it ......... Every body is different. The options are great to fit everybodys needs. Some of the best installs i have seen were just a plain ole black insert but installed in a beautiful hearth . Not every one has the big or beautiful hearth option. It all depends on the location and surroundings. "Me" I dont have the room for a big hearth and i was just about to go with a wood furnace because i didnt want a "black steel box" in my front room with a 6" pipe running up the wall. Luckily after many days / weeks of research i found a stove that looks awesome in my front room and is very efficient. Different strokes ............

What about that Dutchwest that Tradergordo posted a couple of days ago for $999 on Ebay? Brand new.

That was a nice looking stove for that cash!

Status
Not open for further replies.