Saying Hi and thanks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimxj2000

Aug 14, 2008
SE NH
Greetings.

I have been reading on here for awhile as part of the nightly routine of putting the baby so sleep - I can move the mouse, but no typing while holding the boy.

Tonight he went down early, so I thought I would say hi.

This is our third winter using the stove 24/7. First winter we burned the wood that was here when we bought the house. Last winter we bought c/s/s wood. This year we moved up to cutting and splitting our own. We got a free grapple load from the tree service when they were cutting for higher power lines down the road. Good deal for us, bad deal for the road. A lot of really nice trees were cut down. With the help of the neighbors and his slitter that has all been cut, split and dried over the summer. (I did "have to" buy a chain saw.) We now have two more truck loads (dump truck - odd way to deliver, but it worked) to cut and split this winter. It is sort of becoming a hobby/exercise with the axe and wedges.

I have learned a lot from reading on here, such as:

the cat needed to be replaced,
how to sharpen the saw teeth (my Dad's method was not the best)
keep the pine, it works well for the shoulder season,
what the shoulder season is
how full to fill the fire box
what temps to look for (I added an in flue thermometer to back up the external one)
southern NH appears to have the highest fire wood prices rural areas of the country. (S NH may not qualify as "rural" anymore?)
were to find the stove manual online
how to replace the gaskets
what black locust is

and a bunch of other things.

so, thanks,

Jim

What stove ya got?

Hi Jim J- I agree with your comments. This site is awesome. Congrats on the baby. I find myself logging on all the time to see "what's new" and to learn something new everyday. Enjoy the heat JIm

[quoteWhen your done here, your attention is needed in isle 9................. ][/quote]

Hogz, it's "aisle", hun, "aisle" ;-)

Isle, is like freaking Bali, man, or Ireland :lol:

And you did say "dat"! (how's that for multi thread posting????)

Welcome and nice to meet you Jim! :)

And how rude of me, my apologies.

Hope the little one is still sleeping.

Welcome !

Status
Not open for further replies.