SBI Enerzone 2.3i wood insert 550-600 degrees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blacktop

Feb 1, 2008
northeast
I just recently purchased a Enerzone 2.3i wood insert. This is my first insert and would like to share my experience with it. I haven't read too much about this model here on these forums. I installed it on the upper level of a ranch with a basement. Its installed in a 13x13 terracotta lined 16'(from fireplace floor) chiminey. I installed a 6" insulated flex liner from http://www.chimneylinerinc.com/.
I can say I'm definitely saving money over using my electric radiant heat which is in the ceiling. After 3 hours or so My 1400 square foot upstairs is warm. obviously warmest in by the stove and warm enough in the bedrooms that the heat doesn' come on. I am not using any hallway fans just the blower that came with the stove.
This is my first stove so take this for what its worth. I am pleased with my purchase. It cost around $1500 for the stove.

Here is a short video of it with the fan on high. and air shut way down. Also some pictures.

A question I have is what is a safe temp to run this stove at. Is there a max?

Attachments

• IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 707
  • IMG_0911.JPG
    IMG_0911.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 670
Your owner's manual says to not exceed 840 degrees Fahrenheit on the cooktop of the insert. Personally I wouldn't get it over 650F - 700F.

firestarter - I bought a 2.3i and have been using it for about 2 weeks and burning 24/7. I have noticed that I cannot get a complete burn on the wood toward the back of the stove. Have you had a similar problem?

Its Blacktop. "Firestarter" is how new I am to this site.

I think that is where the fresh air comes in. In the center at the back.

Just curious did your stove come with a vermiculite board or firebrick over the secondary air tubes?

blacktop, right. I'm obviously new to this. There is a vermiculite shield above the air tubes, then an insulation blanket on top of that. I work with a guy that bought an Enerzone 3.4 free standing stove and was having a similar problem. American Eagle instructed him to remove the insulation blanket, which he did, but it didn't totally correct the problem.

I haven't really noticed a problem with my stove. Did you hook up the fresh air intake to directly outside? I didn't on mine. I also don't have the vermiculite board in mine. I ordererd the board, but never put it in because sommeone told me it contains asbestos. I was worried about bits getting airborne when cleaning the stove. Could it be that because there aren't any holes or cracks in the vermiculite like the firebricks have and its burning different?

Good question about the fire brick/vermiculite board. I don't know. I don't have the outside air kit. I wanted it, but was instructed by American Eagle that is unnecessary. I am keeping the damper open a lot more and have started shoveling the coals around before loading more wood into it. It seems to help a lot. Maybe my wood isn't as dry as I thought? Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.