SBI purchases Englander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
SBI has been considering setting up manufacturing in the US. Now they have a base. This could be interesting.

Wow that's a big deal.

This wasn't an April fools joke was it?
If not maybe SBI can address some of the QC issues that Englander seems to have acquired in recent years...

Reactions: Highbeam
I'm not totally surprised. Englander seemed to go somewhat adrift after the owner died years back.

State side manufacturing would cut down on shipping costs especially to the east coast. Fuel prices will remain high for a while. I read the news piece but was unclear if they were keeping Englander products for 2022 or just keeping the name. SBI designs seem solid but hitting the previous Englander price point seems like a challenge. Are the days of a decent sub 1k$ stove over?

Look at inflation. Where would you like them to cut costs in order to keep that under $1000 stove? Maybe they can keep it if they cut The box store out of their marketing plan and sell direct.

Was hoping some of the englander guys would chime in about this, they have been quiet for some time now. I like both companies as I have had stoves from both of them, they are no frill budget stoves that get the job done. I can't wait to see what they come up with in the pellet stove market as well.

In addition to inflation costs, it looks like they will need to recall the 15-SSW01 and 50-SSW03 models due to flawed testing (too dry wood). That will be costly. I think there is also a recall on a pellet stove.
wow. I wonder what SBI paid. If it were mr I’d scrap all the Englander products and rebrand current SBI tested and approved products under the Englander name.

wow. I wonder what SBI paid. If it were mr I’d scrap all the Englander products and rebrand current SBI tested and approved products under the Englander name.

Why would one do that unless the current SBI products have a worse name than Englander? (Which they do not, imo.)

That only risks imparting some of the (lower, but not bad) name of Englander on a product line with a good name...?

Why would one do that unless the current SBI products have a worse name than Englander? (Which they do not, imo.)

That only risks imparting some of the (lower, but not bad) name of Englander on a product line with a good name...?
They will be out 100k to retest two stoves small potatoes for a huge company but maybe not for a a poor product that isn’t selling well. Simplify your product lines. You really only want their manufacturing capacity and skill. I think Englander has more brand recognition state side than Drolet. Selling in and to big box stores reaches a lot of people. Quality sells best to the informed but the majority of buyers are not informed. Most buyers won’t know it was sold to SBI.

Just thinking

Reactions: stoveliker
3/8 plate steel NC30 step top with built in convection deck!!!! I'm getting the fuzzies just thinking about that one.