SBI stoves vs PE, Jotul, and Quadrafire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corey148

Oct 4, 2012
Western MD
Was wondering if you anyone can provide me with any first hand information on the differences between these stoves?? I attempted to start a conversation with another member, however I don't think I did something correctly. If the post did work sorry for this repeat. How much difference in quality, burn times, or warranties do the stoves made by SBI compare to higher end stoves such as a PE, Jotul, or Quadrafire. I know the Jotul's have cast iron stoves which runs the price up a little more. I like the Drolet's and even the Englander models because they are rated fairly well and don't cost a tremendous amount of money. Bottom line, I am going to be heating my house which is around 3,000 square feet in Western Maryland with a fairly open plan. House is new and also fairly well insulated. Stove is going into the basement so I need something that is going to put out some heat. Would a large stove from Drolet, Englander, or even Osburn be feasible, or should I be looking into something that's cost more money?? Thanks and appreciate any information you can provide.

At 3000 sqft I wouldn't start my search by brand. I would start my search by SIZE. Your gonna need a big stove. Once you get a handful of monster contenders - then look at the brand behind the stove. Seriously.

I was looking between the PE Summit or Alderlea T-6, Jotul F600, or the Quad 5700 or Isle Royale as compared to an Englander 30NC. Do you know of anyone who has one of those large stoves?

Why do you want to put the stove in the basement? Generally, this is not the best place for heating a house. Stoves are basically a space heater. If your main floor is open, someplace up there, centrally located, would be far better. Still going to need a large stove, though.

As far as price comparison, more money generally buys you nicer looks and features. But less expensive stoves like the Englander 30-NC will put out just as much heat as another 3.5 cf stove.

Last edited:
So now you've made another thread asking the same question but stretching it to include other "budget" minded stoves. When you start looking at the cheap stoves be sure that they are certified to meet the current EPA standards. Also, since you'll likely find some pretty oddball chinese junk, be sure to check on this site for referalls or reviews about the particular stove. The cream of the crop for "budget" stoves is currently the englander nc30. You can buy it from home depot for 899$.

Looking elsewhere will lead to disappointment AND spending more money for that. I'm into stoves, an enthusiast, and I picked the NC30 for the same reasons that you appear to be looking into budget stoves.

Yes, I probably should have added that there are cheaper stoves that are not as good as the Englander line, so you do have to be careful.

Here is a 3.4 cu.ft EPA steel stove you may want to look at. The Drolets have a stainless steel secondary air system that seems to be less prone to damage than the regular tube stoves. The Drolets (an SBI product) are proving to be a good robust heater.

http://www.drolet.ca/en/products/wood/ht2000-with-pedestal

Keep in mind, 3000 sq.ft. is a whole lot of area for any one stove to heat.

Reactions: cheechblu
Corey- Heating from a basement is difficult at best, you need all the BTUs you can get. You should go with the best quality stove you can afford, if you can the Quad 5700 is probably the biggest hammer available in the steel stove category. The Osburn 2400 is a good value stove too, but the largest steel stove you can get is the best stove for that application. If you put the stove upstairs in a formal area, the big cast stoves, Jotul Alderlea Isle Royale all come into play. Good luck, try to get the best dry wood you can as well.

As someone who has a stove in my basement level and another on the main living level of our home I'd like to second Sprinter's comment on the basement as being a poor choice to place a stove if you are hoping to heat 3000 sq. ft. It is very difficult to move a great deal of heat from a basement to upstairs with that much space. If you are burning 24/7 you will have the best chance of getting some significant heat upstairs, but if you are going to firing up only part time, then I'd say you are going to be disappoint with most any stove you select.

As per the stoves you mentioned, I put in a Jotul F600 last February in our living room and we are very pleased with its performance. We had a cool spring, so I got to do a fair amount of burning, but we didn't have any extended sub-freezing cold snaps to see what the stove can really do.

IMG_0198.JPG IMG_0184.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking between the PE Summit or Alderlea T-6, Jotul F600, or the Quad 5700 or Isle Royale as compared to an Englander 30NC. Do you know of anyone who has one of those large stoves?

Three of the mods here have one each large 3 cu ft stove. We all love em. They are made and behave somewhat differently. Each has it's own personality. Of those mentioned the F600 and Isle Royale are most similar. The PE stoves are fully jacketed and are more convective in nature. The T6 has a full cast iron jacket. The mass of this cast iron jacket gives the stove a unique personality in the steel stove world. It acts as a buffer, storing heat and slowly radiating it even after the fire dies down.

If budget is the prime concern stop, do not pass go, just buy the 30NC. I've never used one but have seen enough glowing reviews that I'm trying to talk my own dad into one.

Agree with everyone else, install it centrally upstairs. You are on the large size sq ft wise, but are also well insulated and in a mild climate so I suspect you might do OK.

Unless you are super insulated, I can't imagine a single 3.0 cuft stove heating 3000 sqft. Definitely not if it was located in the basement. This coming from somebody that owns one of the stove in question (Isle Royale). I would be looking at the biggest stoves on the market and locating it somewhere central to the home.

Agreed, the most comfortable solution might be to employ 2 stoves. Run the one stove in the basement for milder weather and both when it's very cold outside. In this case the 2nd stove need not be as large. A 2 cu ft stove may suffice. Or, consider an EPA wood furnace like a Caddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.