Scale like build up on floor of stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamess67

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2007
Central Illinois
Hey Guys, here is one for you. I have never seen this before but when I clean the ashes out of my stove, Im encountering a scale like, rock hard, formation on the fire bricks. This year Im burning some free wood that I thought was something close to oak. However when it dried out , the splits are very light weight . So now Im thinking its some kind of Maple.

Is this scale residue from the wood or part of the fire brick?

Hey Guys, here is one for you. I have never seen this before but when I clean the ashes out of my stove, Im encountering a scale like, rock hard, formation on the fire bricks. This year Im burning some free wood that I thought was something close to oak. However when it dried out , the splits are very light weight . So now Im thinking its some kind of Maple.

Is this scale residue from the wood or part of the fire brick?
14171849763472078223005.jpg

Thst looks like some kind of resin out of the wood to me. Kind of strange that it's not burning off. I'll be watching this to see what others think about it.

I've been getting that as well right by the dog house air inlet of my stove. I thought it was the brick coming apart at first as well.Upon further inspection, I think it is just ash that gets fused together from all the heat.

Yes, it's a clinker. We get folks wondering about them every year around the time they first clean out the stove. It's normal. Some species of wood produce more than others.

Ive been burning for a few years now and this is a first. Thanks guys

Clinkers . . . normal.

Most reports of it that I have seen here were when burning Elm. Just another one of its charms.

Learned something new, clinkers. I've never seen them in the oak I burn. We do clean the ash out before the weekend burns. Is the consensus it silica? Seams like you wouldn't get to the temperature needed to make glass. But maybe it's another form.

Status
Not open for further replies.