scan andersen 10 danger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fredmor

Nov 30, 2007
oregon
Recently bought a Scan Andersen 10. It has a serious problem. Burning wood and embers can tumble out of stove when door is opened to recharge stove. Most recent incident had a large ember falling on cat and nearly burning it. My wife is afraid to add wood to stove because of this danger. Any solutions or similar experiences?

fredmor said:
Most recent incident had a large ember falling on cat and nearly burning it.

I thought the cats were mounted in the top of the firebox, so nothing should fall on it. The Cat will take the heat of an ember resting against it.

Or you could replace it with a non-cat stove.... ;-P

I am posting a pic so people have an idea of the stove you have. I notice it does not have an ash lip, but many of that style do not. In four years of operation, I have only had two embers come out and make it past the ash lip, and both of them were somewhat my fault... trying to add more wood while there was still a lot of wood in there, to get more heat out. Both of them landed harmlessly on the hearth, which is why it's there. What size is your hearth, and do you have any pics of the inside of the stove?

-- Mike

Attachments

• file_014144_300_300.jpg
    file_014144_300_300.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 660
I love that stove - was going to get one myself, but it puts out too much heat for the room I wanted to put it into.

18" hearth in front is suggested these days. I think it does have some kind of a fender inside to keep logs from rolling out, In fact, you can see it through the door.

The short answer is probably to be more careful in your loading practices so that embers do not end up rest against the door.

fredmor said:
Recently bought a Scan Andersen 10. It has a serious problem. Burning wood and embers can tumble out of stove when door is opened to recharge stove. Most recent incident had a large ember falling on cat and nearly burning it. My wife is afraid to add wood to stove because of this danger. Any solutions or similar experiences?

Welcome fredmor. That's a beautiful stove, congratulations.

You are learning an important lesson with a new stove. FWIW, I had a big log roll out of the Castine during the first season and was grumbling too. Now I praise the wisdom of a generous hearth in front of the stove.

Whenever reloading the stove it's good practice to open the door slowly. It reduces the possibility of something rolling out unexpectedly and reduces smoke coming out the door.

This is one reason I love my N-S loading stove over my E-W stove.

fredmor said:
Whenever reloading the stove it's good practice to open the door slowly. It reduces the possibility of something rolling out unexpectedly and reduces smoke coming out the door.

Ya, learned that one quickly..

Status
Not open for further replies.