Scandia 308 stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tide17

Jun 17, 2008
nj
i have 2 wood burning stoves in my home, the scandia 308 and a vermont vigilante parlor stove...they have brick and stone chimneys behind them that are atleasdt 6 feet wide by 14" deep that go all the way to ceiling.. my homeowners insurance is giving me a hard time about clearances to the wall behind the stoves..ne is 14 inches and one is 12..however they are solid masonry walls behindd... i ont get it..can someone tell me what kinda clearances the scandia should have compared to the vidilante. i have he guide to the vigilante and it says non combustible clearance is enogh room for adequate convection.. both stoves look identical so wouldnt these be the same clearances?

Chances are that the two stoves are close as far as the distance from combustibles.

BUT, are you certain that the wall behind them is 14" thick for at least 3 feet or more in width? It is more typical that a wall behind a stove is one brick thick except right where the chimney is - where it will, of course, be much thicker.

If the wall is truly 14" thick, then I would classify it as a non-combustible wall - that is thicker than the side walls of a fireplace!

But if they are only one brick thick, then the clearance reduction is as follows:

1. Assume 36" for your older radiant stoves
2. Solid brick - one layer with no airspace=33% reduction, which means 24" to the original combustible wall (behind the brick)

Perhaps your local building official or a chimney sweep or other pro can inspect and give you a report as to what is actually there.

no its solid block behind the brick. the 2 stoves are back to back in 2 different rooms..they run up a solid block double fluted chimney.. i looked up in the attic and its solid cinder block about 3' wide by 5' wide

Status
Not open for further replies.