Scandia 315 driving me crazy repair help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
I bought a house has this stove in it, I know it is old and the co. went out of business... I have been told by many local shops to just throw it away, but moneys tight so we wanted to burn. I lit it for the first time and the room got all smokey. I shut all the lights and with a flashlight found smoke coming from the back under the top lid. I read someone else wrote and was advised to remove the top and replace the gasket. OH NO where am I going to get that... Does anyone know if what type I should buy will another manufacturers fit ? Do I need the gasket or will the stove cement be sufficient? Does the top just come off with the 4 acorn nuts in each of the corners ? If anyone has made this repairs, please advise.

Thank You

Take a deep breath. It's going to be OK.

I've never rebuilt a cast iron stove myself, but I understand it's pretty doable and the materials (gasket material and stove cement) are readily available. Try any stove shop, or even any good hardware store (Ace hardware and the like - probably not Home Depot). It will be a good project for a day off.

Is it the same gasket material you would use for the doors ? Also do you know anything about the operations there is a damping door on the lower left handside on the back and there is also a small circular plate with a spring on the left hand side of the stove next to the side door any ideas ??

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.