Scandia knockoff?? (AKA - Will I burn my house down?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcwood01

Sep 25, 2011
Wyoming
Hello, I must first say that I have searched the site and seem similar postings, but wanted a little more info. We purchased a home in the last year and it has a Scandia wood burning insert. Several posters say these are typically knock-offs and are good for scrap metal and or planters. My questions: A) Are there any good Scandia wood burning inserts? B) Should I even spend the money to have a professional come inspect it (one poster stated must pros don't even know what they are looking at when it comes to these)? C) If it is junk, thoughts on removing the insert and restoring the original fireplace or installing a new wood-burning insert? Gas prices are KILLING me and wood is cheap and plentiful.

Thanks in advance!

A.) No
B.) It's worth a call I guess. I personally won't install one.
C.) Restoring a fireplace won't give you much heat. Typically fireplaces are extremely inefficient and can in some cases actually make the house colder. Installing a new insert is the best option though the most expensive one. It will however give you a lot more heat for less wood and be much safer than the Scandia.

Well, that answers my questions. Thank you. Of course, not the answers I wanted to hear but I had a feeling. I will search the site for info on ideas for new inserts. Thanks again, cmon!

Howdy. The first thing to do is to get a certified sweep to inspect the installation. If this person has been around for awhile he may be familiar with this insert. But even if he isn't, he can check out the installation. If the insert is without a liner or just slammed into place, then that should be remedied even if the stove is in good condition. You'll also want the chimney checked for integrity, safety and creosote accumulation.

We don't see many of the Scandia inserts here. It would be very hard for us to assess the condition without a good inspection. In lieu of that, if you can post some good pictures that show exterior detail and also some of the interior of this insert we may be able to spot serious defects. Particularly look out for cracks and warping. Personally, I would replace it with a properly installed modern insert for peace of mind and better heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.