Scandia Rebuild Info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougp

Jan 2, 2013
South Central Mass
Hi All,
Looking for some expert advice.
I've got an opportunity to get a Scandia 308 for $40 bucks. It seems to be in great shape but needs gaskets and a new thermostat coil. I was wondering where I can get a rebuild kit or if I can use Vermont Castings parts. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.

Happy New Year,
Doug

welcome to the forum doug
happy new year
i know it looks alot like a vermont castings but am not sure the parts will fit. i would check woodmans.com or you could call them they have always been good to me. gaskets you might even be able to get at your local hardware store with the cement. coil might not be available maybe you could get the vermont castings to work. springs don't go back a lot it might need to be adjusted or loosen it up if it is sticky. no oil it will stink. if some rust maybe some super super fine sand paper to smooth out the mounting bolt. there should be some more help along shortly.

frank

Hi Frank,
Thanks for the input. I checked out that website you sent and they dont seem to list my model there. I will give them a call later today. My problem with the thermostat is that it is non existent.....I hope I can use the VC one! Thanks again.
I know there are a few guys on here that use these stoves or the 315, which I think is the same but not top load, that I hope could give me some pointers.

Thanks again,
Doug

just took a peek at the 308. it looks like a vigilant and the 315 looks like the defiant. you might be right asking about vc stoves and yours being the same. the only thing i can see that may be different is screw from the coil to the stove. i'm not sure if it is this way but the scandia might might be a metric screw vs. the vc being sae. the only way to find out is someone else's experience or trying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.