Q&A Scandia Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I received a used scandia(egg-shape) woodburner from my son as a gift this week, for my three season porch. I have now read that these are no longer produced. It came with two sections of six inch stove pipe. My puzzler is the pipe sits inside the collar on top of the stove(loosely). When measuring the outside diameter, it appears a seven inch pipe would be in order. My idea is to go with the six inch and use some gasket material to stiffen and secure the pipe in the collar. Am I missing something?

Answer:

YES, you are missing the fact that the stove may be designed for a 7" pipe and will therefore smoke or not work well with a smaller pipe. In most cases, a pipe should be the same size or larger than the flue outlet of the stove.

If your chimney is very tall and has very strong draft, it may work with the smaller flue, but again it is not good practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.